PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bad idea?

NintendoTogepi
February 22nd, 2009, 06:01 AM
On my EEE netbook, I use Google for almost everything, including image storage and documents. My friend said that was a bad idea because they're going to spy on me or steal my information. Do you think that's true? :(

schauerlich
February 22nd, 2009, 06:04 AM
Any time you use an online service, you run the risk of someone snooping your data. That said, I doubt you have anything to worry about.

wolfen69
February 22nd, 2009, 06:11 AM
On my EEE netbook, I use Google for almost everything, including image storage and documents. My friend said that was a bad idea because they're going to spy on me or steal my information. Do you think that's true? :(

can i borrow some tinfoil from the hat your wearing? i need to cook some fish sticks.

hyperyoda
February 22nd, 2009, 06:20 AM

Well some people are paranoid. It's true there is a risk using Google services (such as Gmail or Blogger etc.) but *any* service on the net has risk. Any unsecured data path between your computer (or a remote service) is liable to be attacked. The question is which should you worry about. Google is a huge company, if they are caught snooping on people or selling their private data it could have huge negative repercussions for them. I think it's far more likely some bored 15 year old may attack your machine and try to compromise it than a Google employee. So read the Ubuntu Security guides (search on bodhi_zazen) and get a firewall setup, etc.

Zach