PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Moving to a new hdd, what should i backup?

LastWho
February 22nd, 2009, 05:58 AM
Hi,
What i have: ubuntu 8.04 installed on 40 GB hdd

What i plan to do:
- moving to a new hdd 250 GB,
- dual booting ubuntu 8.10 and windows7 (for gaming and readiris - OCR),
- then adding my old hdd (after probably formatting it).
i m willing to partition the new drive like this: 30 GB unpartitioned, 17 GB for root (/), 3 GB swap, and the rest a home partition --> installing ubuntu then windows (on the unpartitioned space) (by following some threads i found on this forum)

Questions:
1- i assume that i could access easily my home partition from both windows7 and ubuntu, right?

2- what do i need to back up from my old drive, i backed up some personal files on dvds, what else could/should i back up?
(e.g i installed hundred of applications with ubuntu 8.04, could i back up that?)

3- after dual booting on the new hard disk, could i mount the old one and access to files on it, or i have to format it before?

thank you so much for ur help

(sorry for my bad eng)

T2manner
February 22nd, 2009, 06:02 AM
I would just backup your home folder.
I've never tried to backup anything else.

logos34
February 22nd, 2009, 06:14 AM
like t2manner says, your /home files are the only ones you need to backup. None of the applications or programs you installed on 8.04 will be worth saving since 8.10 probably uses newer/different versions.

Look here (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountlinux)for how to format and mount the old disk for use in 8.10

good luck

hyperyoda
February 22nd, 2009, 06:21 AM
Hi,
What i have: ubuntu 8.04 installed on 40 GB hdd

What i plan to do:
- moving to a new hdd 250 GB,
- dual booting ubuntu 8.10 and windows7 (for gaming and readiris - OCR),
- then adding my old hdd (after probably formatting it).
i m willing to partition the new drive like this: 30 GB unpartitioned, 17 GB for root (/), 3 GB swap, and the rest a home partition --> installing ubuntu then windows (on the unpartitioned space) (by following some threads i found on this forum)

Questions:
1- i assume that i could access easily my home partition from both windows7 and ubuntu, right?

2- what do i need to back up from my old drive, i backed up some personal files on dvds, what else could/should i back up?
(e.g i installed hundred of applications with ubuntu 8.04, could i back up that?)

3- after dual booting on the new hard disk, could i mount the old one and access to files on it, or i have to format it before?

thank you so much for ur help

(sorry for my bad eng)

It's a good idea to backup your $HOME directory as well as any config files you setup such as /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Zach

LastWho
February 22nd, 2009, 12:20 PM
thanks guys for ur help, especialy logos34! the tutorial u gave me is great!!

i ve a question plz: i m willing to make the home partition an ext3!
i know that with the Ext2 IFS i can read and write from an ext3 but can i install windows programs on it??

thanks