PDA

View Full Version : What is expected of entry-level developers or software engineers?

RavUn
February 22nd, 2009, 05:34 AM
It's around that time where I need to start looking for an entry-level job (or internship) since I should be graduating with a CS degree soon. I've been looking over jobs and job descriptions and I don't know how qualified I am for most of them.

A lot of jobs require some experience or have desired skills. I have experience with programming (php, c++ and java) but what would a company expect from an entry level developer? I've never had to create a win32 or any UI application and have only done console applications for my classes.

From looking over tutorials for VC++, wxWidgets and GTK+ it seems like there's a lot more to know as far as creating application UI.

Anyway, my question is basically: what do companies expect from an entry-level Java or C++ developer?

koenn
February 22nd, 2009, 02:50 PM
Maybe it's not you that should be worrying about this, but the people that do the hiring. You select the jobs you might be interested in, and they will decide how suitable you are for the job.

Don't rule out jobs to quickly. Even if you don't meet all of the requirements, or only sort of meet them, you might still qualify. Job ads often describe skills and qualifications of 'the ideal candidate' and it's up to the recruiter to decide how close you come to that ideal.

Maybe the progamming forum has some people who can gavi a more concrete answer to your question.

Tomosaur
February 22nd, 2009, 05:40 PM
As an 'entry level' (i.e: fresh out of university) software engineer, my first task was to take over an outsourced web application project which had been completely messed up, fix it up within about 2 weeks so that it could be demonstrated to the customer, then re-design and re-develop the whole thing from scratch, entirely on my own, using a language I had very little experience with (C#), with a framework I had never used before (ASP.Net), which was to be developed to work with a web browser I never use and actually hate (IE6), using a third party library which barely works and has terrible documentation.

Hopefully you will get lucky.