PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to load Ubuntu Live

Javelin360
February 22nd, 2009, 05:31 AM
Greetings from a complete novice trying to install Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex on two different systems. Iím not much of a computer guy. Iíve grown tired of dealing with windows (one of my CNC Machines runs under XP and it gives me fits) and a network engineer I work with suggested I try Ubuntu and sent me version 8.10 on cd.

My intent was to set it up on my old Compaq Presario with a Celeron( R ) CPU 2.66GHZ and 248MB of RAM. The system is running Windows XP Home Edition with SP3. It has an 80G hard drive with a 4 gig partition that allows the system to recover if the C drive fails. It has a DVD RW and a CDR. I changed the bios to boot from the DVD drive so I could try the live version. I inserted the cd in the drive and mistakenly had the 64 bit version loading. It informed me that I couldnít run it. I switched to the 32 bit side and the Ubuntu screen with the moving bar displayed. A language option displayed and I chose English. I then chose the Try Ubuntu without changing the system option but it was down hill from there. After a long string of text the desktop background displayed but no Icons or taskbars displayed. Everything just seemed to hang there and eventually the screen just went blank. I tried to load it half a dozen times but it never loaded and allowed me to explore anything. I did get a login screen once but it would not function. I also tried to just install Ubuntu to no avail.

I then decided to try it on my Dell Inspiron 530S running XP Pro with SP3, a Pentium ( R ) Dual-Core CPU and 3gig of RAM. Using the 64bit side of the Live disc. It loaded successfully and I started looking around. I played with the office suite but when I tried to print to my Brother MFC 420CN nothing would print. Ubuntu recognizes that the printer is there but nothing happens. Additionally I can not connect to the internet. I have a DSL connection that uses a Telemax Xtreme 100b unit with 1 port Ethernet. I tried the help and Google but could find nothing that used novice terms that I could understand. Everything works when boot Windows.

Please help as I hate failure.

taurus
February 22nd, 2009, 06:05 AM
First, you need more than 256MB of RAM to run the LiveCD.

Have you configured the printer before you tried to print to it?

Javelin360
February 22nd, 2009, 06:18 AM
First, you need more than 256MB of RAM to run the LiveCD. I wondered if I had enough RAM but would it affect an installation directly to the hard drive as I tried to just install Ubuntu? I do not need the XP operating system on the Compaq.

Have you configured the printer before you tried to print to it?
I couldn't find anything on configuring a printer in the Ubuntu magazine that came with the CD.

taurus
February 22nd, 2009, 06:21 AM
With 256MB of RAM, you should consider using the alternate CD to install Ubuntu on your machine instead of the LiveCD. Better yet, use the Xubuntu alternate CD since XFce4 window manager is lighter on the system resources.

http://www.xubuntu.org

System -> Administration -> Printer

Javelin360
February 22nd, 2009, 06:43 AM
I will try the alternate CD download. Then I will try to configure the printer on my Dell. I still need advice on connecting to the web. I tried the steps in the magazine but couldn't get it to connect.

Javelin360
February 22nd, 2009, 12:55 PM
I burned two different CDs but my Compaq will not boot from either. It acts as if there is nothing on the cd and goes straight to XP. I checked the bios and it is set to boot from the CD first.