PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Race- Slumdog vs Curious Case ?

armageddon08
February 22nd, 2009, 05:05 AM
So which movie do you think is going to win the Oscars? I think it is going to be Slumdog Millionaire.

Kingsley
February 22nd, 2009, 05:16 AM
I can't tell since I haven't seen both yet. Slumdog Millionaire was really good though.

init1
February 22nd, 2009, 05:19 AM
I saw them both, and I think that Slumdog was better. Both good movies though

Polygon
February 22nd, 2009, 05:20 AM
pretty sure slumdog is going to win, it got a lot better reviews and not to mention it has the whole theme of what poverty is actually like.

handy
February 22nd, 2009, 06:00 AM
& it has the great Bollywood dance ending on the railway station. :D

schauerlich
February 22nd, 2009, 06:05 AM
I haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire, but I thought Curious Case was pretty good.

Polygon
February 22nd, 2009, 06:41 AM
& it has the great Bollywood dance ending on the railway station. :D

i think that was my favorite part. Also the music was spectacular, but the music + the dance scene at the end was like...amazing =)

armageddon08
February 22nd, 2009, 06:46 AM
i think that was my favorite part. Also the music was spectacular, but the music + the dance scene at the end was like...amazing =)

Yes...I think its quite appealing here in India.:)

NintendoTogepi
February 22nd, 2009, 07:27 AM
I prefer Curious Case by a little bit, but Slumdog has about a 94% chance of winning, Button about 5% and Milk about 1%.

Slumdog has won nearly everything.

Personally my favorite movie of the year wasn't even nominated for Best Picture!

If it would up to me, these would be the nominees:

1. WALL-E (not nominated for BP)
2. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (nominated for BP)
3. Slumdog Millionaire (nominated for BP)
4. Milk (nominated for BP)
5. Revolutionary Road (not nominated for BP)

Polygon
February 22nd, 2009, 07:32 AM

hearing about it again made me youtube it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r61it17yzmE&feature=related

i <3 that song =P

darrenn
February 22nd, 2009, 09:38 AM
I wish they would have nominated the dark knight for best picture.

armageddon08
February 22nd, 2009, 02:46 PM
I prefer Curious Case by a little bit, but Slumdog has about a 94% chance of winning, Button about 5% and Milk about 1%.

Slumdog has won nearly everything.

Personally my favorite movie of the year wasn't even nominated for Best Picture!

If it would up to me, these would be the nominees:

1. WALL-E (not nominated for BP)
2. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (nominated for BP)
3. Slumdog Millionaire (nominated for BP)
4. Milk (nominated for BP)
5. Revolutionary Road (not nominated for BP)

I know. WALL-E was my personal favourite too.

billgoldberg
February 22nd, 2009, 02:59 PM
So which movie do you think is going to win the Oscars? I think it is going to be Slumdog Millionaire.

Neither should win.

Both are highly over hyped and frankly not really that great at all.

Keyper7
February 22nd, 2009, 05:22 PM
It's all image and politics.

Curious Case is the usual Hollywood favorite, but once in a while the Academy pulls off a Crash just to say "ooh, look at us, we're alternative". On the other hand, giving Best Picture to Slumdog might be a little too much. They definitely do not want to **** off Hollywood executives by sending the message that low budget is enough.

rajeev1204
February 22nd, 2009, 06:08 PM

Appealing?

Watching that movie was nothing short of humilation.

Are you even from bombay? Stop sucking up to foreign directors who portray mumbai in a bad light.

handy
February 23rd, 2009, 11:00 AM
Neither should win.

Both are highly over hyped and frankly not really that great at all.

Some of us really enjoyed both of them, regardless of any hype that some of us may or may not have been exposed to.

Sorry, if my ignorance of the realities of the situation in India are somehow disrespectful. That is not my intention.

Trail
February 23rd, 2009, 04:02 PM
The Curious Case is WAY overrated. It's not even very good. If it's a drama, it gave me no emotions. If it's a tragedy, well it wasn't tragic. Some scenes were very out of place. It left me nothing but some nice pictures and scenes here and there. The central idea was nice, but alone it's not enough to fill a 5 hour movie.

Besides, I couldn't get Cat Blanchett out of my mind the whole movie. (google it).

Cenotaph
February 23rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
I haven't seen Slumdog yet, but from what im told its a great movie.

I saw Benjamin Button and tbh, it is a good movie, but not brilliant, in two or three years it will be forgotten, it didnt add anything to the cinema world, really. Also the acting was not as demanding as ppl made it sound, Brad Pitt is a good actor, but his performance was not even near Mickey Rourke's or Sean Penn's.

I also feel bad for WALL-E, it was an amazing movie, way above most animated pictures recently made, and to get just the Oscar for Best Animated Picture doesn't make the movie justice. A nomination for Best Picture would be more than fair, but i guess the Academy didn't feel that, having a specific category for animation, it would make sense to have WALL-E there.

Polygon
February 23rd, 2009, 08:50 PM
i think only one animated movie has ever won best picture and that was some sort of classic disney movie.

and how did uhh benjamin button beat wall-e AND batman over special effects? All they did was greenscreen the guys face and then edit in a model....wall-e the entire movie is basically special effects, and batman had some pretty good scenes in there with the city landscape and such.

but i think slumdog deserves its praise. its the best movie i've seen in a while, and the music is great =)

Appealing?

Watching that movie was nothing short of humilation.

Are you even from bombay? Stop sucking up to foreign directors who portray mumbai in a bad light.

as the movie WAS shot in india.....i dont see why you are getting so offended. Yes the slums exist, and there are plenty of articles claiming that slumdog millionaire was too 'happy' of a movie, and how most kids from the slums never escape. Yes the entire city is not like the slums, but they do exist. Any intelligent person can see that.

NintendoTogepi
February 23rd, 2009, 09:16 PM
i think only one animated movie has ever won best picture and that was some sort of classic disney movie.

and how did uhh benjamin button beat wall-e AND batman over special effects? All they did was greenscreen the guys face and then edit in a model....wall-e the entire movie is basically special effects, and batman had some pretty good scenes in there with the city landscape and such.

but i think slumdog deserves its praise. its the best movie i've seen in a while, and the music is great =)

The only animated movie ever nominated for BP was Beauty and the Beast. It's good but frankly there are several animated movies I think are better.

And WALL-E doesn't count because it's animation, and if you actually read about how they did Button, it was quite amazing :D

Kingsley
February 23rd, 2009, 09:27 PM
as the movie WAS shot in india.....i dont see why you are getting so offended. Yes the slums exist, and there are plenty of articles claiming that slumdog millionaire was too 'happy' of a movie, and how most kids from the slums never escape. Yes the entire city is not like the slums, but they do exist. Any intelligent person can see that.
The piles of garbage and smell of hot feces were obviously computer generated.
/sarcasm

Keyper7
February 24th, 2009, 12:37 AM

Like good ol' Maddox once said, when special effects are all over the place, they're not special.

WALL-E is a computer generated movie, Dark Knight had the freedom to make Gotham look like whatever they wanted to. Curious Case had to blend effects with shootings in a realistic way that does not make people go "this was obviously computer generated". Sounds easy, but it's very difficult.