PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to start JOSE CHESS

killthatnoise
February 22nd, 2009, 02:11 AM
Hello

I have downloaded jose chess but can't start it. I try to open jose.jar and jose.sh but to no avail.

I am lost. Please help me.:(

Mitch9654
February 22nd, 2009, 02:43 AM
do you know about synaptic? well reinstall the Jose Chess package in the search thing and any chess coefficients

mitch9654

killthatnoise
February 22nd, 2009, 03:37 AM
thanks mitch for your answer. So I need synaptic to get jose running?

ok, i will download it but i am sceptical if it will work.

newbie alarm:redface:

killthatnoise
February 22nd, 2009, 03:45 AM
ok synaptic is on my computer.But i do not how to use it to open jose.

I have tried to open jose.sh with wine then a blank window pops up that is titld jose board.

but i can't chose to open jose.sh with synaptic

jimrz
February 22nd, 2009, 04:08 AM
what version of ubuntu are you running? if it is the standard gnome install synaptic will already be installed, and you can go to the top panel to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager and click to open it or Xubuntu right click on your desktop and find it in the menus (you will need to enter your password, in either case) and use the search box to find your chess stuff (and whatever else you might want)

or go to terminal and enter

gksudo Synaptic
enter your password and off you go

if you are using kde just look for the default package manager in your menus and use it

PS: if it were me I would try to find my way around the system a bit before fooling around with loading games

killthatnoise
February 22nd, 2009, 04:17 AM
thanks jimrz. I have found synaptic on my computer but i do not know how to use it to open jose.

i have searched after jose packages in the synaptic folder but couldn't find one.

:confused:

killthatnoise
February 22nd, 2009, 04:21 AM
when i try to open jose.sh shouldn't there be a option to open it with synaptic???

jimrz
February 22nd, 2009, 07:07 AM
sorry, my bad. when I saw the previous suggestion pointing to Synaptic I guess I assumed that it was in there (oughta know better than that and check). the files you downloaded should include some sort of "read me" thing with install instructions. if not, they have a forum that may be able to assist. this combined with one of the links in the first link below should get you going.

look here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=801404) for a post containg a great deal of info, including how to install programs, useful for getting started with ubuntu and here (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php) you will find a site run by one of the forums most respected members that has many very good tutorials. as I said before I strongly recommend that you look around in these sites and become more familiar with your new OS. there is a bit of a learning curve to most things that are new to us, but this one is not too steep and is pretty easy to get used to. if one takes the time to get off to a good start, I believe you will really enjoy it.

Welcome and have fun with it.

PS: that Jose chess looks pretty interesting. I think I will have to have a go at it. I currently play Dream Chess (which is in Synaptic) and uses the crafty engine (a real bear to go up against, but then again if it were easy...why play), but does not have anything like the database that jose claims.

killthatnoise
February 22nd, 2009, 08:46 AM
ok, thanks for the links jimrz

3rdalbum
February 22nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
Synaptic Package Manager is a program that downloads and installs software from the Internet. Open Synaptic Package Manager from the menubar at the top of your screen - go to System, come down to Administration, and go to "Synaptic Package Manager". Type your password if asked.

Now use the search function to find a chess game. Right-click the program you want and go to "Mark for Installation", and click Ok to any extra dialog windows that open up. Then click the Apply button at the top of the main window. It will ask you to confirm your selection. Click Ok and the program you chose will download and install.

Ubuntu comes with a chess game anyway.

Synaptic Package Manager does not install programs that you have already downloaded. It's always better to use Synaptic to find and install programs rather than go searching the web.

killthatnoise
February 22nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
hello 3rdalbum.

i have tried that before but i haven't found jose in the synaptic search.:(

i have tried to install jose in the terminal.

Then the same thing happens again. A window pops off with the name of the creator of jose chess and then it disappears.:confused:

killthatnoise
February 22nd, 2009, 09:29 AM
ok.the two main problems summarized now.

1. I do like the manual says but jose won't load. The window with the name of the creator pops up for two seconds and then disappears again.

2. I can't find jose in the synaptic package manager or the add/remove section.

](*,)

jimrz
February 22nd, 2009, 06:19 PM
ok.the two main problems summarized now.

1. I do like the manual says but jose won't load. The window with the name of the creator pops up for two seconds and then disappears again.

2. I can't find jose in the synaptic package manager or the add/remove section.

](*,)

since you are manually installing the program, use of Synaptic or add/remove is not really an option.

next thing to try would be to go back to the jose site click on the link to their forum to see if anyone has posted a fix to the problem, or simply start a thread asking for assistance (there does seem to be some discussion of problems there when trying to run on 8.10)

good luck

killthatnoise
February 23rd, 2009, 02:59 AM
thanks to jimrz and everybody who replied to that thread.

pirate_tux
February 23rd, 2009, 05:37 AM
ok synaptic is on my computer.But i do not how to use it to open jose.

I have tried to open jose.sh with wine then a blank window pops up that is titld jose board.

but i can't chose to open jose.sh with synaptic

lol

llamabr
February 23rd, 2009, 05:42 AM
I'm not exactly sure what jose chess is, but are you sure you need it? is it just a chess game? Because there's a perfectly good gnu chess already loaded on your system.

What does jose chess do?

pirate_tux
February 23rd, 2009, 06:00 AM
I'm not exactly sure what jose chess is, but are you sure you need it? is it just a chess game? Because there's a perfectly good gnu chess already loaded on your system.

What does jose chess do?

Gnu chess is just an engine. And a bad one.
José Chess (it's not Jose Chess but José Chess) it's a chess database. It's also the only way to play chess960 on GNU/Linux.

José Chess it's a tribute to the world champion José Raúl Capablanca.

We don't translate names you know!!!

But the world's best chess database is Scid (it's even better than the proprietary and expensive ChessBase).

Scid is free software and runs on GNU/Linux and other operating systems.

Scid is on Debian repositories but we can get the latest version (wich represents a tremendous evolution) from Scid site:

http://scid.sourceforge.net/

You can even use Shredder engine in Scid...