PDA

View Full Version : Free games as in free speech ?

jc87
December 23rd, 2005, 11:31 PM
I was searching the web for some cool Counter strike Source skins when i realized , hey , there are a ton of people in the gaming community making skins , mods , etc.. what if they make also their own games ? after all there are tools such as the quake3 (and others) engine freely available , there are highly skilled people that in the moment only scratch their balls , and the community itself already proved in the past that is capable of producing quality stuff ( Counter strike for example) .

Or even the producers of proprietary code games could “share” some source code with the community (among other things) , and make a development model similar to the LGPL , after all would be nice to have 10 default skins for awp instead of just one , and a bunch of small tools to change the game profile , i personally would think that i spent mine 50 € better if i had official support to all this extras.

sonny
December 24th, 2005, 12:03 AM
To my opinion, Unreal Tournament series are a perfect example of support to open source gaming, you have a bunch of skins for it, and also you can have entire games based on their "engine", but are absolutly different from UT, like Red-Orchestra, there's one about the western shooters (can't recall the name though), one about a ball game, to me, that would be a nice example of sharing code with community dev's. Also there's a game named cube wich is also open source, you have lincity, and a couple more.

Although I agree with you, there's only a very few companies sharing code to help community dev's into creating new amazing games, there should be more, quite more.