PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome Desktop gone!

gazzatav
February 21st, 2009, 10:23 PM
Ubuntu 8.04

After having loads of problems with network-admin giving me a greyed-out unlock button and not being able to get internet connection (Winxp is fine on another partition), I decided to uninstall policykit as forum searches had the policykit as the problem. Um, now I don't have the Gnome desktop as default when I log in, I get KDE 3.5. How do I get the Gnome desktop back?

Partyboi2
February 22nd, 2009, 02:47 AM
Open a terminal and

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
this should pull in any packages that are missing.

gazzatav
February 23rd, 2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks Partyboi2, I've tried that but without the internet connection it can't pull in the packages (even though the ones it was using before must still be present as I only uninstalled them, I didn't remove them). There seems to be a big problem with ethernet since a recent update (not just with me). It seems I need to get the internet connection working again under KDE before I can restore the ubuntu desktop. I've tried to set the ip address with ifconfig but I just get unknown host.

gazzatav
February 23rd, 2009, 10:22 PM
Fixed it!

If anyone else is having trouble with network-admin try using ifconfig and route. It took me a couple of goes but the result was worth it.

eg. sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.xx or address on router ip range.
then sudo route add default gw <gateway address>