PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Software Sources unusable, greyed out

graceful1
February 21st, 2009, 09:57 PM
In Administration->Software Sources, I switched from the United States server to "other". Then I clicked on the "Select Best" button. After some tests were conducted, mirror.cc.columbia.edu was selected for me. Then a dialog box appeared, saying that I must reload. I clicked OK, and now everything is greyed out in the Software Sources box and it is unusable -- cannot click on any tabs, cannot click on any check-boxes, cannot click on anything. :( I am using Ubuntu 8.10. I am an absolute beginner. :(

mgmiller
February 22nd, 2009, 12:51 AM
I change my software sources around from time to time and that's what it does when it's finished.

Just close the window.

If you run it again, it should show up with the new sources enabled, or if you use synpatic or any of the other package management tools, they should work normally with the new sources.

graceful1
February 22nd, 2009, 03:32 AM
Ah, I see. It kept suggesting that I reload, so I kept reloading. The dialogue box was very confusing. It would have been clearer for a dialogue box that instructed me to close the program. Thank you for your help.