PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Can't Login After Updates

robertv
February 21st, 2009, 09:00 PM
Carried out some updates today, and there was an error. The two suggested methods to fix it (running dpkg --configure -a and apt-get -f install) didn't do anything productive. After around an hour, I suddenly got a small popup from X (not styled as KDE) complaining it couldn't find something (I didn't get time to see what) before being forcibly logged out. Now all that happens is I get the login screen, and when I attempt to login I just get a black screen, then the login screen again.

Adept itself provided little useful information during the upgrade, although afterwards I spotted a number of packages marked as broken.

I'm typing this from a Live CD, and any help is greatly appreciated. If anyone has any way to get some helpful information, or ways to fix this, then let me know. Otherwise I'll just have to reinstall I guess.

robertv
February 22nd, 2009, 09:16 AM
I have also tried logging in using the "Failsafe" option on the login screen. This is not as failsafe as it claims - it does exactly the same as the normal option. Flash of a black screen, then straight back to the login screen.

Pete051
February 22nd, 2009, 09:51 AM
Same problem here no kde and no network connection and only windowmaker running looks like we have major bug here

Pete051
February 22nd, 2009, 10:27 AM
Ok problem solved by connecting by ethernet and running apt-get update and apt-get install kde, it seems to have been a bug with adept.
Pete

robertv
February 22nd, 2009, 03:22 PM
Hasn't fixed it for me. I've reinstalled Kubuntu and I now get a quick error from X flash up during the black screen, before being thrown back to the login screen. I have kept the same home directory, so I assume there was some combination between files in my home directory and the rest of the system.

Again, any help would be nice.

tommcd
February 22nd, 2009, 09:31 PM
I've reinstalled Kubuntu and I now get a quick error from X flash up during the black screen, before being thrown back to the login screen. I have kept the same home directory, so I assume there was some combination between files in my home directory and the rest of the system.

If you have reinstalled Kubuntu from scratch, and you still can't login, then there may be a problem with the .kde directory in your home directory. Try booting to recovery mode and renaming the .kde directory in your home directory to .kde.bak. Also rename any directory in you home directory that has .kde* in it (there may be more than one, I'm not sure, as I don't run KDE). Then reboot and try to login. KDE will create a new, pristine .kde directory when you login.

Icefalls
February 22nd, 2009, 10:45 PM
Hey,

I seem to have the same problem. Made upgrades yesterday and had some trouble to complete them using adept. I had to use apt-get in the terminal to complete the update.

When I turned on the computer this morning, the xserver would not start.Kubuntu desktop manager does not start after logging in . I found the following entry online about a similar problem after the update.

http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/249047-latest-kubuntu-update.html

After checking with aptitude it seems there are some packages missing relating to Kubuntu desktop but i am unable to install them. apt-get update returns failed connections to the repositories online.

I have checked the connection from the computer using the terminal and it seems there is no connection. I know the actual connection works because im using it with a laptop at the moment.

It seems to be a double edged problem. I need the internet to sort out the xserver problem, but there is no conncetion for me to use aptitude...

Does anyone have a suggestion, im not an experienced linux user and im pulling my hair out

bikerelc
February 23rd, 2009, 03:11 AM
I have the same basic problem. I tried to login using the failsafe and got an error message about not having an xserver emulator installed. When trying to boot using the default I go straight to a black screen with my cursor. Also it should be noted that I only have internet access via a wireless connection. Another important thing that I noticed was when the updates were occurring I noticed an update for the Fglrx driver which had caused me problems in the past, mostly the inability to use the FGLRX drivers.

Icefalls
February 23rd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Hello again,

Im still grapling with this problem. Found another link to a similar problem caused by a language pack.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ubuntu-63/kde-wont-load-after-apt-get-update-kubuntu-x8664-620882/

The problem is i am unable to run any of the commands using the terminal. I think this is because the computer cannot/will not access the internet to check the sources.

Has anyone else had any luck?

Pete051
February 23rd, 2009, 08:47 PM
I think the only solution to the connection problem is to connect with an ethernet cable, not wireless once you have updated with apt-get everything should be hunky dory :)

tommcd
February 24th, 2009, 09:15 AM
When I turned on the computer this morning, the xserver would not start.Kubuntu desktop manager does not start after logging in . I found the following entry online about a similar problem after the update.

http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/249047-latest-kubuntu-update.html

After checking with aptitude it seems there are some packages missing relating to Kubuntu desktop but i am unable to install them. apt-get update returns failed connections to the repositories online.

I have checked the connection from the computer using the terminal and it seems there is no connection. I know the actual connection works because im using it with a laptop at the moment.

1. It seems unlikely that you would have internet access from Firefox and not from the terminal. To verify that you have internet access from terminal do this:

ping www.google.com
You should get something like this:

bash-3.1$ ping www.google.com
PING www.l.google.com (64.233.169.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from yo-in-f99.google.com (64.233.169.99): icmp_seq=1 ttl=241 time=20.3 ms
64 bytes from yo-in-f99.google.com (64.233.169.99): icmp_seq=2 ttl=241 time=16.6 ms ......

To stop it hit: ctrl c

To fix your KDE problem, first backup your .kde directory in your home directory:

mv ~/.kde ~/.kde.bak
Then run:

sudo dpkg -configure -a
sudo apt-get install -f
Then reboot. If that does not fix it, then backup your .kde directory again and run:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall kubuntu-desktop
If you have problems with any of this, post the output of these commands.

Mujaheiden
March 18th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I have the same issue, but then on ubuntu, 8.10. none of your solutions worked for me so im starting a new thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6916073).