PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] screenlets will not launch

nico10
February 21st, 2009, 08:23 PM
Okay so this is whats going on,I have installed a new screenlet (watermark) seems very cool by the screenshots, I completed a successful installation and the screenlet is visable on the screenlet manager, when I fire up the screenlet manager and double click watermark it doesn't open or do anything, no error messages.

running
ubuntu 8.04
python-imaging 1.1.6-lubuntu5
screenlets 0.1.2
watermarks v0.31

and yet another funny thing is that I'm able to open other screenlets,

steps I have taken:

I thought it was the way that I installed the file, yet I have done this 3 times now.

updated gtk compiz fusion python-imaging and screenlets

permissions tab on the .py file and checked off "allow executing file as program"

any suggestions ?

PS -this is my second day converting to Linux seen Vista and Win 7 are not appealing at all, I'm fed up with Microsoft it's enough to deal with vista at work.

I just thought I'd introduce myself to the Linux community

nico10

nico10
February 21st, 2009, 08:43 PM
one more thing I should mention

ubuntu hardy heron 8.04.2 is the os
GNOME 2.22 (session name default)
intel celeron m420 1.60 ghz
1 gig RAM sodimm
intel mobile 945gm x86 integrated graphics controller

(I don't think my hardware is the issue since I can launch other screenlets yet this gives you a larger picture on where I'm going with this)

hope somebody can help.

nico10

BazookaAce
February 22nd, 2009, 03:04 AM
Sounds like it's the screenlet that's damaged or something. You're not doing anything wrong, so this is weird. Your hardware looks nice too. Try to download the screenlet again. If that does not work, send an email to the creator of the watermark-screenlet.

nico10
February 27th, 2009, 08:02 AM
well it seems that their was no problem at all. I ended up playing around with the GNOME bar? (task bar in the windows universe). Anyways all the icons for the screenlet showed up underneath it when I moved the the GNOME bar over to the right side of the desktop, I've noticed that whenever I open a new browser or app they pop up high on the desktop hiding the menu bars or in this case the screenlet behind the GNOME bar, is this normal with ubuntu, or is their an actual setting where I can manipulate where these pop up. Thanks for the efforts

Nico10