PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Root System?

wolfman1221
February 21st, 2009, 07:43 PM
I was wondering if someone could help me. I just recently installed ubuntu, and when I boot it I reach a message that says no root system is defined and that I need to fix it in the partition menu. Does anyone know how to correct this?

taurus
February 21st, 2009, 07:48 PM
Did you install Ubuntu on it own partition or did you install it from windows? When you install Ubuntu, you need to declare which partition to mount as / (root filesystem).

wolfman1221
February 21st, 2009, 07:52 PM
I'll admit it, I'm really new at this, so I used partition magic, and I used the install another operating system option on that particular program. I am using windows xp.

cariboo
February 21st, 2009, 07:53 PM
Boot from the LiveCD and once at the desktop go to System-->Administration-->Partition Editor and set the root partition.

Once you have the partitions showing in the window click on the partition you set up for Ubuntu, then click the edit button. there in be a dropdown box near the lower right select / and then apply.

My instructions may not be exact, as I am doing then from memory.

Jim

wolfman1221
February 21st, 2009, 07:59 PM
Okay, that thing is a friend of mine set this up for me. He installed some program called Daemon tools lite, which he said I could use in place of cd. I did this once without a cd, and it worked fine. When I uninstalled ubuntu, and tried to install it again this is when I received this message that said no root system is defined.