PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which releases are LTS (Long Term Support)?

paulehoffman
February 21st, 2009, 07:08 PM
I have not found a definitive list of which Ubuntu releases are LTS (three years of support instead of 1.5 years); https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS is silent on the issue.

Of specific interest is what future releases are expected to be LTS. Is Jaunty going to be LTS? Karmic? Leaping? Meandering?

taurus
February 21st, 2009, 07:15 PM
Hardy, 8.04.2.

binbash
February 21st, 2009, 07:17 PM
Jaunty will not be LTS, it is hardy

paulehoffman
February 21st, 2009, 07:18 PM
Jaunty will not be LTS, it is hardy

Hardy is the *only* LTS so far? And none are planned for the future?

Sprut1
February 21st, 2009, 07:19 PM
10.10 will be LTS, if I'm not mistaken.

crazyness003
February 21st, 2009, 07:28 PM
I though Dapper Drake was an LTS.
http://releases.ubuntu.com/6.06/

And shouldn't support for it end later this year?

ve4cib
February 21st, 2009, 07:29 PM
Hardy (8.04.x) and Dapper (6.06.x) are the only two LTS releases so far. (Dapper is still supported until June of this year, and Hardy will be supported until 2011 on the Desktop side and 2013 on the server side.)

As for the next LTS release, no formal announcement has been made of which I am aware. I would speculate that the next one will probably be version 10.04 (the one after Karmic). The "trend" (if such it can be called given that there are only 2 LTS releases to date) seems to be to release an LTS version every two years in April*. This gives a one-year overlap during the LTS support period.

So, to answer your question more precisely the next LTS releases will likely be:

- 10.04 (Leaping Lemur?**)
- 12.04 (Pouncing Puma?**)
- 14.04 (Reticulating Rhesus?**)

*Dapper was held up for a couple of months and came out in June, but it was scheduled for April originally if I remember things properly.

**Release names are complete speculation on my part; I honestly have no idea what those releases will be called.

crazyness003
February 21st, 2009, 07:39 PM
Hardy (8.04.x) and Dapper (6.06.x) are the only two LTS releases so far. (Dapper is still supported until June of this year, and Hardy will be supported until 2011 on the Desktop side and 2013 on the server side.)

As for the next LTS release, no formal announcement has been made of which I am aware. I would speculate that the next one will probably be version 10.04 (the one after Karmic). The "trend" (if such it can be called given that there are only 2 LTS releases to date) seems to be to release an LTS version every two years in April*. This gives a one-year overlap during the LTS support period.

So, to answer your question more precisely the next LTS releases will likely be:

- 10.04 (Leaping Lemur?**)
- 12.04 (Pouncing Puma?**)
- 14.04 (Reticulating Rhesus?**)

*Dapper was held up for a couple of months and came out in June, but it was scheduled for April originally if I remember things properly.

**Release names are complete speculation on my part; I honestly have no idea what those releases will be called.
nice naming scheme. And yes, you are correct. 6.06 was supposed to be 6.04

paulehoffman
February 21st, 2009, 08:19 PM

Thanks. I have updated the main Wiki page.

ve4cib
February 21st, 2009, 09:04 PM
nice naming scheme. And yes, you are correct. 6.06 was supposed to be 6.04

Haha, thanks. I'm be quite surprised (and maybe a touch creeped-out) if they wind up using those exact names. Especially "Reticulating Rhesus."