PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.04 Doesn't Recognize my NVIDIA Graphics Card

jvargas
February 21st, 2009, 05:33 PM
I've combed through google searches and forums but I can't find a concrete answer to my issue.

I have a EVGA NVDIA 9600GT grphx card. After installing Hardy Heron, I get a black screen upon boot up. I have no onboard video to plug into and see if I can upgrade my video drivers some way or another. I've tried using a newer version of Ubuntu but it still does the same thing. I should also mention that I have a dual-screen going on but I'm not sure if that's the cause of my issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

My Specs:
ASUS P5QL
Intel C2D E8400 3.0Ghz OC 3.83GHz
8GB RAM
EVGA NVIDIA 9600GT 512MB
160GB SATA HDD(Primary)
500GB SATA HDD(Slave)

lemming465
February 22nd, 2009, 09:13 PM
If you boot in rescue mode (single user), do you get a text console, or is it still black screen? Do any live CD's do video? Can you get to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and specify Driver "nv"?

Mark Phelps
February 23rd, 2009, 07:51 PM
I could be wrong here, but I tried dual-screen in Hardy and it didn't work. I believe that Intrepid may be the first Ubuntu distro to handle multi-screen by default.

Anyway ... would disconnect one screen and see what success you have using a single screen. You can always add the second screen later, once you get Ubuntu up and running.