PDA

View Full Version : [other] Is it hard to get people to answer your questions?

Alastor85
February 21st, 2009, 05:24 PM
Hi,

I just joined the forum and posted a problem i have with ubuntu, but nobody answered?

Is it hard to get help with your problems or do most posts get answered eventually?

Sprut1
February 21st, 2009, 05:33 PM
Normally the answer is right around the corner, but if you have a complex problem and didn't describe it thoroughly some people just might look away - based on my experience; either way someone will help you with the problem or help you getting more information about it.

And remember to use thread titles that describes you problem, for example "How to install codecs?". Of course you wouldn't ask that because it has been discussed before, and you should always search.

And after 24+ hours you can bump the thread rephrasing your question.

mc4100
February 21st, 2009, 05:33 PM
Hi,

I just joined the forum and posted a problem i have with ubuntu, but nobody answered?

Is it hard to get help with your problems or do most posts get answered eventually?

Most questions will receive an answer, and very quickly, however, Hardware stuff is difficult because it's hard to know the fix to a problem which you don't have.
Which is to say that sometimes one has to wait a while for someone who has the same Graphics, or Wireless, chip as you to come along (which should happen eventually) or maybe someone who's experienced a similar problem.

overdrank
February 21st, 2009, 05:42 PM
Hi,

Hi and welcome, wireless issues are another beast. If you search the forums for your wireless you can see that there are many threads.
WiFi Link 5100

Helios1276
February 21st, 2009, 05:44 PM
Hi,

I would say the vast majority get answered, thanks to the guys working on unanswered posts, but you should actively seek your answer while waiting( Google, search other forum threads etc). It's great to get that help when your at your wits' end but it's pretty damn good to crack the problem yourself too :popcorn:

drs305
February 21st, 2009, 05:45 PM
Alastor,

First, welcome to the ubuntu forums. I just looked for your other post and you did provide some good information. Even though you are a beginner, you might have had more success if you had posted it in the Networking & Wireless forum, where more helpers familiar with the information you provided hang out. Putting something specific in the title also helps, such as your networking card type, if that is the issue.

Sometimes it does take a while for a post to get answered - it just depends on who happens to be reading the pages. Sometimes a post gets moved off the front page quickly when the forum is busy - but please refrain from bumping the post too quickly.

Additionally, just about every problem someone posts on here has been experienced by others and most likely been responded to. The search feature usually can help find previous posts and hopefully solutions. I find it especially helpful to use the advanced search features and include a time frame (usually I choose 'past month'. If I can't find an answer there, I use a non-forum Google search.

Don't become discouraged - these forums are a great resource - for new and old users alike.

Armor Nick
February 21st, 2009, 05:46 PM
If you have a little patience, eventually there will be some people able to help you. Everyone here is willing, but you can't give an answer you don't have ;) .

Sealbhach
February 21st, 2009, 06:36 PM
It all depends on your question, and whether there's somebody reading the forum who can answer it. It helps if you give your message a good descriptive title.