PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A "dock" and Gnome Panel combined? Eye candy issue.

BastardNamban
February 21st, 2009, 03:38 PM
I've been using linux for several months now, no major problems, but some things are still irking me. I'd like to walk into an installfest somewhere, and I could fix everything that bugs me in an evening talking in real time with someone, showing them what I don't get, but I live overseas. So here goes.

I started with Gnome panel, obviously, but transparancy settings leaving text unreadable pissed me off. I learned that I could set text color, but it wasn't easy on the fly, and a pain. Also, I couldn't figure out if there were themed icons for it, so I decided to start trying different "docks", as I hate my desktop being obscured by a panel.

I tried AWN dock. I liked it, but had too many little issues over available applets, and things randomly disapearing/sliding, etc. So I got sick of it, and now I have Cairo dock.

Cairo dock is nice because I can make that stupid bar transparent- so only icons. It's very configurable, but here's the kicker- icon placement is a nightmare! I can't just drag and drop them into the order I want- I have to fool with a completely unintelligeble number positioning system for icon placement, that doesn't work well even when I change values.

I know of Kiba dock, Wbar, Simdock, and a couple others.

What I want to know is- are there any docks that integrate the Gnome panel window list for minimized windows, but only show launchers/applets like Cairo dock with NO BAR?

Imagine Cairo dock, with SIMPLE drag-&-drop for switching icon order, but expanding horizontally for little rectangular bubbles with dynamic text color balancing that stay there for minimized windows. Even those boxes are totally transparent, except for their faint outline and text- nothing to obscure my desktop or other windows. Give it all a master text color adjustment option, and we're set.

Is there anything out there like this, combining the ease of recognition of Gnome panels' window list with a dock-format? I mean, why do the window bars have to be stuck in a bar? I hate that in both AWN and Cairo docks, the best they can do with multiple window instances is a tabbed icon-like stack in AWN, or nothing at all in Cairo dock- I had 2 firefox windows open and no way to select between them without the panel bar I want rid of.

If there isn't, could I pay someone to develop one, and make it freely available to others? I don't know how to do it myself, or I would have!

fabounet
February 23rd, 2009, 12:01 AM
select between them without the panel bar
=> the "exposť" function of Compiz ?

simtaalo
February 23rd, 2009, 12:03 AM
if you want a dockbar integrated with gnome use "docky" which is part of gnome-do

fabounet
February 23rd, 2009, 11:48 PM
lol then you'd better use the gnome-panel taskbar, it will be less buggy ...
but it seems he doesn't want a bar , so Compiz could possibly make the trick

hobo14
May 5th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Dockbar sounds like what you want: http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/DockBar?content=97822

BastardNamban
May 5th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Thanks- checked out Dockbar, but am confused- it seems no different from AWN or Cairo- text bubbles just pop up above the icons, like now. I'm talking about a full bubble-like tabbed text box spreading out between icons in a dock otherwise.

I'll take another look at it, but I'm sure what I want doesn't exist. I'd have to pay someone.

cdwillis
May 5th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I'm having a hard time picturing what you are describing. I'd recommend installing gnome-do and selecting the docky interface. You can hide the dock until your mouse goes towards it. Minimized windows are displayed as little dots below the icons in the dock.

Maybe it's not be exactly what you're looking for, but I think it's the best dock out there.

alphacrucis2
May 5th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks- checked out Dockbar, but am confused- it seems no different from AWN or Cairo- text bubbles just pop up above the icons, like now. I'm talking about a full bubble-like tabbed text box spreading out between icons in a dock otherwise.

I'll take another look at it, but I'm sure what I want doesn't exist. I'd have to pay someone.

Did you check out gnome-do with the docky theme. Requires compiz though.