PDA

View Full Version : ATI Catalyst™ 9.2 Proprietary Linux x86_64 Display Driver is out

newbie2
February 21st, 2009, 03:11 PM
Resolved Issues

* Resolved visible corruption when starting MythTV frontend in full screen
* Catalyst Control Center, disabling primary display and re-launching CCC caused a Floating Point Exception
* Google Earth failed to start
* With some ATI adapters the display port monitor was not detected after being hotplugged
* Able to reboot or shutdown when ATI Catalyst Control Center is opened
* Catalyst Control Center, displayed the wrong version using the Information/Driver Version
* No audio output was available through HDMI
* Connecting both a CRT and DFP display device no longer results in the CRT failing to display an image if the DFP is disconnected and then reconnected to the system
* Corruption is no longer seen on secondary display after enabling secondary display Big Desktop
* Sections of the task bar no longer turn black when using the application 'Blender'
* Enemy Territory Quake Wars v1.4, system no longer becomes intermittently unresponsive when game is run.
* Some Open GL application no longer cause segmentation fault with Crossfire and dual head enabled
* Maya crash fixed when using the following settings subinvisions Axis and subinvisions Height are set to 2000
* Tearing no longer occurs during picture-in-picture playback of H.264,VC-1,MPEG2 files on SUSE
* Playing AVI files with Mplayer in full screen no longer causes Mplayer to stop responding
* Resolved, Video does not resize or may appear filled with pink/black when changing from a low to high resolution

Known Issues

* White screens may occur on the extended displays of a with a quad display configuration with 'Xinerama=on'
* Quake4 cannot start after using the load default option
* With both a DFP and CRT connected using the swap monitor option may cause the following error “KDE Panel - The KDE Crash Handler”
* X may fail to start when the driver has been configured with the following command: aticonfig --force-monitor=nocrt1
* RedHat 4.7 hot plugging a display may cause X to shutdown
* Some display corruption may be observed while returning from XServer with two display connected
* Catalyst Control Center, primary display manager may be missing on systems with dual head enabled
* Some systems may fail to restore after returning from hibernation
* Catalyst Control Center, the primary display is not identified when using the Identify Displays button
* X-Server may become unresponsive when hot plugging the display after changing the resolution
* Dual head mode, the mouse cursor cannot move to the secondary displays
* The mouse cursor may fail to render when hot plugging a display in clone mode
* Catalyst Control Center, on some systems X may fails to start when the resolution is set to less than 1680x1050 through displays manager
* With some system configurations Catalyst Control Center may take up to 30 seconds to start
* SUSE 11, No CrossFire confirmation is displayed when running Open GL applications
* Running Specviewperf 9.0.3 in CrossFire mode may causes a segmentation fault and failures in log file.
* When X is killed, the desktop background for the display:0.1 remains
* Screensaver corruption may be observed with 'xinerama on' in multi-head configuration.
* On some CrossFire systems resizing Glxgreas may cause some screen corruption
* Corruption may occur in Maya with a multview configuration using three displays
* Flickering may occur with some screensaver and Flash movies when using either Normal or Extra Visual Effects.
* X-Server may stop responding or shutdown when loading some Open GL applications on a secondary display
* On some systems with RedHat 4.7 and Radeon X1800 the system may fail to start after installing the display driver
* SUSE 10.3 32bit: The operating system may fail to respond when pressing “Ctrl+alt+F7/F8” to switch session when “fgl_glxgears” is running
* Image rendering is not visible and only able to see the blank application window when moving the application a secondary display
* Red Hat 5.2 32bit, KDM X windows may restart when user selects to “Start New Session” during user switch

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux64/linux64-radeon.html

Polygon
February 21st, 2009, 07:08 PM
this made me laugh:

SUSE 10.3 32bit: The operating system may fail to respond when pressing “Ctrl+alt+F7/F8” to switch session when “fgl_glxgears” is running

i wonder who reported that bug.

Mazza558
February 21st, 2009, 07:56 PM
I'll stick to the FOSS drivers, unless these ones bring some decent performance boosts. The FOSS drivers are exceptional, especially in Jaunty.

jimi_hendrix
February 21st, 2009, 08:49 PM
i pray this will fix my bug and let me upgrade to intrepid...

in interpid for waht ever reason i cannot activate my driver...i hit activate and enter my password but nothing happens...

any way i can try this without a reinstall?

Vince4Amy
February 21st, 2009, 09:02 PM
I've found the close sourced drivers to outperform the Open Source ones significantly so far.

jimi_hendrix
February 22nd, 2009, 07:34 PM
I've found the close sourced drivers to outperform the Open Source ones significantly so far.

same

oldHat
February 22nd, 2009, 07:42 PM

glxgears does 5500 fps under 9.2 with my brand-new 4650. Would I be better off with FOSS?

Vince4Amy
February 22nd, 2009, 07:53 PM
glxgears does 5500 fps under 9.2 with my brand-new 4650. Would I be better off with FOSS?

Well what do you get on glxgears on the open source driver?

oldHat
February 23rd, 2009, 05:12 AM
Well what do you get on glxgears on the open source driver?

Point taken. I only used the open source drivers briefly, and didn't have much luck with them. I'm better off with what I've got.