PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VirtualBox / VBoxWindowsAdditions installation failure

nfoto
February 21st, 2009, 01:59 PM
Hello !

I just installed Ubuntu as a SUN VirtualBox Guest on my Windows machine. Installtion was not a problem. But: I cannot get any screen resolution higher than 800x600. Looking into the forum, I found that I have to install the so-called "Guest Additions".

I try to do so by starting the "Install Guest Additions" option in my virtual machine.

This creates VBOXADDITIONS_2.1.2_41885, wich I can see on my workplace as my CD drive. And it should - but does not - autostart this CD an install some software. When I say "Start as autostart" I get a "file not found" error.

When I try to start the file VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe manually. I get an archive error: End-of-central-directory signature not found [...]

Does anybody know how to install the guest additions properly ?

I would appreciate any kind of help.

Best regards, Martin

konqueror7
February 21st, 2009, 02:13 PM
you have to manually install guest additions via terminal...

cd /media/cdrom

sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run

nfoto
February 21st, 2009, 02:36 PM
Thank you , that's it !

Of course, I have to install Linux additions for Ubuntu, not Windows additions ...

And - I anbody else should have that problem - found that I have to say "sudo SH" before installation because if I don't, the installation will fail because of missing admin authorisation ...

Thank you again !

konqueror7
February 21st, 2009, 02:53 PM
glad to help!:D

ramrodewe
July 6th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Just like to add my thanks as this post saved me some considerable time. Oddly (to me at least) I was able to install GuestAdditions from the GUI in the last incarnation of Virtualbox. Not sure what's changed