PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How to downgrade to the kernel?

iKevin
February 21st, 2009, 01:53 PM
Hi All

I have installed intrepid on a machine with the D945GCLF motherboard. All went well until ubuntu went through it first update. After that point, there is now working network. I used another machine and, through googling, discovered that there is a bug in the newer kernel for the realtek module for my network card.

My question is this, Is there a way to install the kernel, and its dependencies, that is on the install CD for intrepid? That kernel worked fine.

Thanks
Kevin

iKevin
February 21st, 2009, 05:00 PM
Hi Again

Apparently, this bug has been fixed.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/linux/+bug/326891

Is there a way for me to know that the next update has this particular fix in it?

iKevin
February 23rd, 2009, 01:54 PM
Ok, I think I made a fundamental mistake. The kernel update is still buggy and it will apparently be fixed in the next kernel.

My misunderstanding lies in the fact that I think the original kernel was still installed and I don't need to downgrade. On a ubuntu only system, grub doesn't display a boot menu unless you hits ESC. I just assumed that the old kernel was not available since there was "apparently" no choice to select it.

I had reinstalled ubuntu and didn't let the kernel update. I am going to update and press ESC to get the menu and confirm that I can boot from the previous good kernel.

Thanks