PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Create shortcuts to desktop

tristancarrington
February 21st, 2009, 01:16 PM
Can anybody help as I am very new to linux it took me two months to get the vodafone dongle to work. I have downloaded skype onto my aspire one. However I dont know how to get onto my desktop so that I just click on it. What I do at the moment is go to search make sure that it is on desktop put in skype and then search I then scroll down to the last program line and click on that to get it to work. If anybody can help please but please remember I am very new to Linux.

Thanks I HAVE TO ADD THAT THE NETBOOK I HAVE IS AN ACER ONE ABUNTU

Bendihossan
February 21st, 2009, 01:53 PM
Can anybody help as I am very new to linux it took me two months to get the vodafone dongle to work. I have downloaded skype onto my aspire one. However I dont know how to get onto my desktop so that I just click on it. What I do at the moment is go to search make sure that it is on desktop put in skype and then search I then scroll down to the last program line and click on that to get it to work. If anybody can help please but please remember I am very new to Linux.

Thanks

Not quite sure what you're asking here mate...do you just want to create a shortcut for Skype on your desktop?

If so, simply right click on your desktop and select "Create Launcher" from the drop down list. In the dialog that appears enter "Skype" for name and "skype" for command. Make sure "skype" in the Command textbox is lower case as Linux systems are case-sensitive.

Hope that helps!

tristancarrington
February 21st, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hi yes that is what I am after but tried right click on desk top but nothing happens am I being thick the desk top I look at is split into four sections connections work fun and files if I right click on any of them it doesnt do a thing sorry very new to this

tristancarrington
February 21st, 2009, 02:27 PM
I am using also Mozilla firefox if that helps

Bendihossan
February 21st, 2009, 02:35 PM
...am I being thick the desk top I look at is split into four sections connections work fun and files...

From your description I think you're using a cut-down version of Ubuntu. I think it got nicknamed "Ubuntu-EEE" because it was widely distributed with EEE Pc's. Afraid I've never used that distro and can't help you. I suggest tagging this article or changing the title to include your specific distro version.

jono2009
February 21st, 2009, 02:37 PM

Thanks

Geta mate, I take it that your using Linux Ubuntu. Have you used Skype on your Laptop to make calls? or downloaded Skype of the internet and have yet to make a call?;)

tristancarrington
February 21st, 2009, 02:46 PM
Yes I have used the skype and a friend from tw got it on my desk top but then it fanished I can use skpe but just cant get an icon on desk top and the last chap recons I have a cut down version of abuntu and cant help I am using an acer aspire one the desk top is split into four sections connect work fun and files are you able to help. Cheers

Bendihossan
February 21st, 2009, 02:48 PM
I think he's using this:
http://asia.cnet.com/i/r/2008/crave/nb/63003999/acer_aspire_one1_500x333.jpg

Am I correct? :)

tristancarrington
February 21st, 2009, 02:53 PM
Great spot on can you help

Bendihossan
February 21st, 2009, 02:57 PM
Great spot on can you help

I know nothing on this distro version but I suggest you change the topic to include "Acer One Ubuntu" so that it will alert people familiar with the Acer One.

If you use IRC you can try asking for help on one of the many #ubuntu channels.

Bölvağur
February 21st, 2009, 03:00 PM
If you have the bar at the bottom of the screen :

Then you are able to right click that bar (called a panel) and select "+ Add to Panel..."
Next you select "Application Luncher..." (and then you go internet → Skype)
OR you select "Custom Application Luncher..." and type in :
Name : Skype (optional.. you can call it what ever you want)
Command : skype (this must be exactly written like this, written in lower case)
Comment : (Leave this blank or type something like "Program I use to call people from")

*added*
The Acer Aspire user forum - ubuntu subsection:
http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=28&sid=e4d7d8e75c9cc34c36950e50475c88ab

Bendihossan
February 21st, 2009, 03:01 PM
You may also want to look up in the manual you had with your Acer one (if you had one). If not it may be possible to find/download an e-book or .PDF version.

jono2009
February 21st, 2009, 03:11 PM
I think he's using this:

Am I correct? :)

Yes your right, it has to be.

tristancarrington, unless your able to place shortcut to other programmes on to desktop. The answer is maybe no. What about you right click on your "Panel" (that is the strip on the bottom of your desktop). That may give you a drop down menu to add your shortcut to the "Panel"

Thats all I can think of mate.
:popcorn:

jono2009
February 21st, 2009, 03:51 PM
Have any luck? with your shortcut.:)

tristancarrington
February 21st, 2009, 04:26 PM
Hi unfortunately not I will just have to keep looking it only took two months to sort the vodafone dongle out which works now. Just been on the aspire one site they are just bad its just going to take time to move across from windows to linux cheers

s.fox
February 21st, 2009, 04:33 PM
I had this distro in that GUI for a while. If you have installed Skype then it should be in the "Connect" menu. Try clicking the blue arrow to see all the applications under that menu.

tristancarrington
February 21st, 2009, 04:53 PM
Hi If i go into file manager and then new terminal and type in skype it finds it I just dont know how to place it on the desktop it is stored in file desk top it use to be as an icon under connect just cant find it anymore but its not like windows where you can right click and click on create short cut to desktop.

s.fox
February 21st, 2009, 05:02 PM
Installing Skype on the Acer Aspire One

To add Skype to the infamous Acer Aspire Linpus background menu .. do the following:

1) open terminal
2) Type: mousepad /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml

As you can see, there are the 4 sections, Fun, work etc..
Under Fun, add a line similar to the others and use this as the path;
/usr/share/applications/skype.desktop

Reboot your laptop and the lovely Skype icon should appear!

Information copied from here (http://www.jigsawboys.com/2008/12/15/the-ultimate-acer-aspire-one-linux-tweak-guide/)

Good Luck!

tristancarrington
February 24th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Dear Ash R

Thank you so much for your help on the matter it took me a while to sort ie I overwrote the arrow with the skype icon but got it in the end its like using dos commands etc a long time ago I used these back with the BBC Micro but I have to say thank you for your patience and its nice people are out there to help these forums are excellent. Just keep an eye out for me again just in case cheers again Tristan

s.fox
February 25th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Tristan,

You are most welcome and I wish you well.

-Ash R