PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Slow web navigation and video flickering in Ubuntu 8.10 - 64 bits

jjjaime
February 21st, 2009, 01:08 PM
Ive just installed Ubuntu 8.10 64 bits from zero. My PC has:
- Core 2 Duo E6420
- ATI Radeon x1950 Pro 256MB PCIExpress

After the installation, update, reboot, installation of the proprietary ATI driver (System -> Administration -> Hardware drivers) and final reboot, I've experienced the following problems:
- Web browsing (with firefox) is very slow. It takes 40 seconds to start rendering the gmail home page and 10 additional seconds to end the downloading of the web page. And it is similar to other sites (i.e. google) but I can download a file at 4 Mbps.
- There is a flickering when playing a divx video with "Ubuntu Movie Player". This flickering disappears when it is played at full screen. However, the flickering appears (even more disgusting) when opening the "System Monitor" window.
- When executing "glxinfo", it says: "direct rendering: No (LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT set)". Do I have to do anything else (apart from installing the proprietary driver?

I'm not sure if these problems are related to the 64-bits version of the OS or by an incorrect configuration of the graphic card.

Any hint is welcome