PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 'could not access CD'

pauleshoo
February 21st, 2009, 10:53 AM
I'm trying to install Ubuntu 8.04. I got a copy of the CD, put it in while running Windows XP. When it reaches 100% in the dialogue box 'Creating image' it gives me an error message that says 'Could not access the CD, please make sure other programs are not using it and try again'. I pressed 'Retry' and again it got to 100% and then gave me the same error message. I don't know what to do.

Partyboi2
February 21st, 2009, 12:06 PM
Are you using wubi to install ubuntu?

pauleshoo
February 21st, 2009, 12:46 PM
I don't know if I'm using wubi. It's a CD that came with a book about how to use Ubuntu. I was trying to install it from XP. I also tried installing by rebooting. The repartition failed so I wasn't able to install it that way either. I checked if the disk is OK and it is. I was able to boot directly off the CD but that's painfully slow.

wpshooter
February 21st, 2009, 02:20 PM
I don't know if I'm using wubi. It's a CD that came with a book about how to use Ubuntu. I was trying to install it from XP. I also tried installing by rebooting. The repartition failed so I wasn't able to install it that way either. I checked if the disk is OK and it is. I was able to boot directly off the CD but that's painfully slow.

If you are going to install Ubuntu on a machine along with the current M/S windows O/S, then you need to first do a scandisk and defrag of your M/S windows O/S (might want to do both of them a couple of times - of course, do the scandisk first followed by the defrag) and only after you have done this on your M/S windows O/S should you attempt to install Ubuntu.

I am assuming from what you are saying that you are using the Live/desktop CD version of Ubuntu. (I would be my personal recommendation that you do the installation from the ALTERNATE, i.e. text based CD version of Ubuntu) however, if you want to do it from the live CD then FIRST make sure that you have anything on your Windows machine that you can not afford to loose BACKED UP. Then and only then should you attempt to install Ubuntu and to do so, if you are using the live version just BOOT to the CD and choose install and then follow the directions. Personally, if you are not familiar with these procedures, it is best that you do this a few times on a machine that does not have anything else on it in case something does not go correctly.

Good luck.