PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade Hardy kernel. Some help for this person who wants to explore and adventure?

Sonadow
February 21st, 2009, 10:01 AM
Ok, before i proceed, maybe i should list down my current kernel version on Hardy.

mine is currently 2.6.24.23

I read that 2.6.28 offers extremely good support for WLAN USB sticks, which is why i am thinking of compiling a 2.6.28.7 kernel for Hardy to take advantage of WLAN support.

But a lot of the guides all over are too complex for me to comprehend: i got up to the step where i downloaded patch-2.6.28.7 and managed, with a lot of diffuculty, to extract the bz2 into /usr/src and from there onwards im just totally lost with the guides.

Can any experienced compilers help walk this young upstart on the procedure to recompile a new kernel so that he can learn more about how to upgrade and maintain any discontinued (or soon to be discontinued) versions of Linux distros? (because it's always the older distro versions that offer better stability and reliability)

Thanks in advance.

ugm6hr
February 21st, 2009, 12:48 PM
http://www.howtoforge.com/roll_a_kernel_debian_ubuntu_way

Although I don't think this is a useful reason to learn:

he can learn more about how to upgrade and maintain any discontinued (or soon to be discontinued) versions of Linux distros?

Pumalite
February 21st, 2009, 06:06 PM
Make a little space in your HH and install Intrepid. See how you like it. You need only 4 GB.