PDA

View Full Version : Which font do you use?

vaibhav
February 21st, 2009, 08:22 AM
Hello Ubuntu'ers

The default application font that Ubuntu uses (Bitstream Sans), I don't like it too much. When I set the font to Segoe, the UI looks much nicer. But it feels like cheating/steeling other OS's font. I don't want that feel of guilt. I want to use a completely free font, and at the same time my desktop to look beautiful. So my question is: can you suggest another Sans Serif font for UI? Which one do you use, if not the default one?

AJB2K3
February 21st, 2009, 09:50 AM
Have a look @ http://www.1001freefonts.com for free fonts and see which you like and use my guide to install it (guide in sig)

Incense
February 21st, 2009, 10:45 AM
I actually am using the default for kubuntu DejaVu Sans, and I'm pretty happy with it. If I venture away from the defaults, then I will cheat (as you put it) and use a Mac font like Lucida Grande, or even Helvetica. Both of those of course do not come with Ubuntu.

smartboyathome
February 21st, 2009, 04:21 PM
I use Tiresias PCFont. Nice, crisp, and clear, even at small sizes. :)

xl_cheese
February 21st, 2009, 04:22 PM
dejaVu Sans Book

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/8027/screenshot1.th.png (http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot1.png)

vaibhav
February 21st, 2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the tip of searching 1001freefonts.com, I'll browse the site and try to find a good one.

I'm also evaluating these fonts:
Luxi Sans
MgOpen Cosmetica (seems to be a good document font, note sure how it'll work for UI, after few days' use maybe I can judge)

Browsing 1001freefonts.com, I mostly find fancy fonts. Is there a way to search for regular Sans ones?

vaibhav
February 21st, 2009, 04:51 PM
I use Tiresias PCFont. Nice, crisp, and clear, even at small sizes. :)

Just tried the Tiresias PCFont, and I find it excellent! But I have an issue with it: it's regular version is indistinguishable from the bold version (which is a deal breaker for me). Are you facing the same issue? I have autohinting turned on, if that matters.

OrangeCrate
February 21st, 2009, 04:58 PM
I've never found a free font that I really like, so, I use Verdana for everything, except the terminal.

Edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verdana

smartboyathome
February 21st, 2009, 07:58 PM
Just tried the Tiresias PCFont, and I find it excellent! But I have an issue with it: it's regular version is indistinguishable from the bold version (which is a deal breaker for me). Are you facing the same issue? I have autohinting turned on, if that matters.

I found that, but I haven't cared, since I don't use bold fonts in my window manager.

murman
February 21st, 2009, 08:17 PM
Carnt go wrong with Undotum or Myriad web pro

binbash
February 21st, 2009, 08:25 PM
Undotum

Sand & Mercury
February 21st, 2009, 08:40 PM
Droid Sans. Looks much like Lucida Grande, but it's free.

the8thstar
February 21st, 2009, 08:47 PM
I use GE Inspira. It's very crisp if you set it with the following settings:

Subpixel Smoothing (LCDs)
Slight Hinting
Size 9.5 for a 1280x800 resolution

I second vaibhav with MgOpen Cosmetica. It's a great font.

AlphaMack
February 23rd, 2009, 10:01 AM
Liberation Sans.

Giant Speck
February 23rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
I second vaibhav with MgOpen Cosmetica. It's a great font.

I love MgOpen Cosmetica. I used to use it when I was developing the Manganite, Cerite, and Duftite themes.

The font I always end up falling back on is Calibri. However, lately I have been using Gill Sans MT. Both are proprietary and very nice.

vaibhav
February 23rd, 2009, 06:41 PM
Undotum

Yes, I found Undotum to be a great font. One issue I was having with it was size 10 seemed too small and 11 too large. Just a fluke, I tried 10.5, and it worked! (Didn't know you could have fractional font sizes... those little discoveries of Linux that make me love it more.)

timberjack
February 23rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
Some faves that i have used in the past and still do

Avenir Next

Undotum

Palatino

Futura

Univers

the8thstar
February 24th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Some faves that i have used in the past and still do

Avenir Next

Undotum

Palatino

Futura

Univers

That's right, I forgot Futura! I regularly use Futura Bk Medium. Neat font too.

the8thstar
April 12th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Here are the font samples I use the most (GE Inspira is my favorite and Aquabase is the worse)...

marcoslai
April 28th, 2009, 03:59 PM
wqy-zenhei is the best font with Ubuntu gnome.

[img=http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/7157/screenshot001s.png] (http://img106.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot001s.png)

Fzang
April 28th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Some font configuration and font smoothing that looks very close to that of OS X.

I love the font smoothing OS X uses :)

Can't remember font names though. Ubuntu is not installed atm :S don't have time to mess around because of school

RPG Master
April 29th, 2009, 05:37 AM
I use Liberation Sans
It looks nice :) (and its GPL)

Giant Speck
April 29th, 2009, 05:42 AM
My current font is Gill Sans MT.

Saint Angeles
April 29th, 2009, 07:51 AM
World of Water is still my favorite "Application Font". i try and i try to find a nicer one and i can't.

hobo14
April 29th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Some font configuration and font smoothing that looks very close to that of OS X.

I love the font smoothing OS X uses :)

Can't remember font names though. Ubuntu is not installed atm :S don't have time to mess around because of school

Lucida Grand.

I like it too, but it has too much space between lines so I use Arial on my desktop.

mystmaiden
April 30th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Heh, I'm a girly girl, my desktop must be Pretty! I use harringon true type. If there was something out there that looked similar in an open source font - I'd definitely switch.

and yes, you're allowed to laugh at me!

mystmaiden

vaibhav
April 30th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Heh, I'm a girly girl, my desktop must be Pretty! I use harringon true type. If there was something out there that looked similar in an open source font - I'd definitely switch. You might try URW Chancery L Medium Italic. While not exactly girly, it does have nice curvy looks.

and yes, you're allowed to laugh at me!Hehe

mystmaiden
April 30th, 2009, 07:20 PM
thanks! I'll check it out