PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu torrents are insane!

blastus
February 21st, 2009, 07:28 AM
No where else will you find 10-15 times more seeders than leechers! Even after two days of seeding my ratio was only 0.50. It's great that anyone can download any Ubuntu install at their maximum bandwidth :D

CarpKing
February 21st, 2009, 07:41 AM
That's why I switched to using a separate /home- I can download the ISO in ~20 minutes on release day and install fairly quickly vs. the five hours it takes to download the updates.

Zlatan
February 21st, 2009, 10:20 AM
no where else will you find 10-15 times more seeders than leechers! Even after two days of seeding my ratio was only 0.50. It's great that anyone can download any ubuntu install at their maximum bandwidth :d

+1:)

ugm6hr
February 21st, 2009, 10:23 AM
I always recommend torrents for new releases.

The AlternateCD is just as easy to get from torrent, as is the 64-bit.

Although the last time I got Xubuntu (Gutsy, I think), it was a very different story...

phrostbyte
February 21st, 2009, 11:56 AM
Yeah more people feel comfortable seeding something that is legal. :D You will never have a seeder problem on the Ubuntu torrents.

billgoldberg
February 21st, 2009, 01:05 PM
No where else will you find 10-15 times more seeders than leechers!

Well that depends on what sites you frequent.

I prefer the normal download.

I have bandwith caps so the less I upload the better.

tubezninja
February 21st, 2009, 04:09 PM

The dynamic changes shortly after a new release however. :)

Unfortunately, I can't constantly be seeding, but I do make an effort to obtain the ISO's for the latest version upon release, and then seed as much as I can for at least a month (usually 24 hours/day for the first week, 12-24/day for second week, 12 hours/day for weeks 3-4), to "give back" as much as possible.

bsharp
February 21st, 2009, 05:14 PM
Unfortunately, I can't constantly be seeding, but I do make an effort to obtain the ISO's for the latest version upon release, and then seed as much as I can for at least a month (usually 24 hours/day for the first week, 12-24/day for second week, 12 hours/day for weeks 3-4), to "give back" as much as possible.

I do the same thing. On Hardy my ratio was 5.xx (can't remember exactly) for ALL of the different ISOs. (I download them all and only burn the one I'm going to use)

Mr. Picklesworth
February 21st, 2009, 05:32 PM
It's a shame that many people have a bizarre fear of torrents, not understanding the peer-review type of security that is inherently offered.

I agree, free software torrents are always great, and it's a nice way to contribute :)

Muffinabus
February 21st, 2009, 05:39 PM
Yeahh, it was nice downloading the 8.10 iso at 2.1MB/s (:

gletob
February 21st, 2009, 07:20 PM
Yeahh, it was nice downloading the 8.10 iso at 2.1MB/s (:

Hey it's all 90 Kilobytes/s to me

I-75
February 21st, 2009, 08:09 PM
All I know, I just got the fastest download torrents to date with Debian Lenny. I was averaging about 1.25 MB/s.

I recall Ubuntu torrents were like 300 to 400 Kb/sec last year.

FuturePilot
February 21st, 2009, 09:38 PM
I'm still seeding the Intrepid ISOs. Though I don't seed 24/7 they're still in my client. :)

TBOL3
February 21st, 2009, 09:48 PM
Hmmm... I seem to get the same, or even less speed out of torrents.

Thirtysixway
February 21st, 2009, 10:14 PM
I read somewhere about how it was possible to setup apt-get to use torrents/p2p to get updates. Maybe it's something Ubuntu users should look into for faster updates.

I changed my mirror location to Michigan Tech's servers and I get better speed on update days :)

-jay-
February 21st, 2009, 10:21 PM
with my connection i can upload around 250k a second so i pretty much can seed for a long time

PurposeOfReason
February 21st, 2009, 10:45 PM
Then you're doing it wrong. ;)

oldos2er
February 21st, 2009, 10:50 PM
I read somewhere about how it was possible to setup apt-get to use torrents/p2p to get updates. Maybe it's something Ubuntu users should look into for faster updates.

I changed my mirror location to Michigan Tech's servers and I get better speed on update days :)

Look into the packages debtorrent and apt-transport-debtorrent

ghindo
February 21st, 2009, 11:02 PM
Linux torrents are always so phenomenally seeded. I typically get speeds of upwards of 1 MB/sec with almost any Linux torrent I download. :)

days_of_ruin
February 21st, 2009, 11:12 PM
Well that depends on what sites you frequent.

I prefer the normal download.

I have bandwith caps so the less I upload the better.

What torrent client are you using?It probably has an option to not upload.

benerivo
February 21st, 2009, 11:18 PM
Linux torrents are always so phenomenally seeded. I typically get speeds of upwards of 1 MB/sec with almost any Linux torrent I download. :)

Will it be one day be possible that the repositories, including updates, are on torrents? Or would it always be too messy?

EDIT - And by torrent, i mean some sort of P2P system.