PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] CD Installation

sthrnpagan
February 21st, 2009, 06:57 AM
I have obtained a CD ROM and have a CD copy of 8.04 tried to run CD at startup. I get to the installation option menu fine. When I choose 'Install Ubuntu' it goes to a black screen and after about 30 seconds the CD drive stops Reading the CD. NOw I do admit that I ran the CD before I logged windows and let XP install the CD ROM drivers. Anyone been in this situation?

crystal eyes
February 21st, 2009, 07:07 AM
I incountered same problem as youres. What I do is run the live cd. after booting, I click the install button and the rest is pretty easy.
If you istill want your windows installation just live the default installation proceedure. But for me I go to manual partitioning because I dont want my windows vista anymore

sthrnpagan
February 21st, 2009, 07:09 AM
I incountered same problem as youres. What I do is run the live cd. after booting, I click the install button and the rest is pretty easy.
If you istill want your windows installation just live the default installation proceedure. But for me I go to manual partitioning because I dont want my windows vista anymore

thanks ill try that. I too want to dump windows.

sthrnpagan
February 21st, 2009, 07:58 AM
TADA!!!!! I restarted my comp and went into safe graphics mode before installing. WINDOWS IS GONE!!! Hallelujiah. I am now a Ubuntu 8.04 User. (Go me):popcorn:

sthrnpagan
February 21st, 2009, 08:00 AM
also, i am installing all updates that ubuntu throws at me. Anything that i might be missing? about to play around with the system. :D

crystal eyes
February 21st, 2009, 08:20 AM
Out of the box, you cant play dvd, vcd, mp3, etc. download using synapthic and install gstreamer pludins. or if you have MP3 files, right click and select open with rhythmbox. it will ask you to download codecs.

For further, just log on to ubuntu forums for any help