PDA

View Full Version : WalMart selling notebooks preloaded with Ubuntu

azebuski
February 21st, 2009, 06:54 AM
So, I've been looking around for a new notebook and decided to take a look at walmart.com

They are selling Dell mini laptops loaded with Ubuntu 8.0.4

In the description they say, "This is a beginners laptop, not a Windows machine. It runs Ubuntu Linux, so you will not have all the functionality that Windows provides. However, Linux is good for basic tasks such are reading email and viewing pictures." :p

That just cracked me up. Then again, it is WalMart.

chmbrs
February 21st, 2009, 07:01 AM
hahahhaha. winblows sucks and doesnt compare to linux in any way. thats good i hope soon they sell only ubuntu on all pcs and laptops everywhere and microsoft goes out of business.

Tek-E
February 21st, 2009, 07:02 AM
Oh my gosh!!!!
Walmart's First Quality product!!! :D

Firestem4
February 21st, 2009, 07:07 AM
Oh my gosh!!!!

hahaha +1

kidux
February 21st, 2009, 07:20 AM
How's this for being a moron who can't read the product description:

No MS windows, 01/13/2009
Its a nice mini lap top but it didn't have Windows on it,
so you cant use your Itunes, or yahoo messenger. I
exchanged it for the Acer mini laptop with MS Windows
now i feel complete. So if you are you Linux software
by all means buy this lap top if not get something with Windows

CarpKing
February 21st, 2009, 07:42 AM
How much does it go for? Sometimes I think I'd like a little more mobility than my full-sized desktop with peripherals allows.

swoll1980
February 21st, 2009, 07:52 AM
I like Dells disclaimer
"The main thing to note is that when you choose open source you don’t get a Windows® operating system. If you’re here by mistake and you are looking for a Dell PC with Windows, please use the following link".
:-k I wonder if this attitude is one of the reasons Windows has such a huge market share.

kidux
February 21st, 2009, 08:04 AM
How much does it go for? Sometimes I think I'd like a little more mobility than my full-sized desktop with peripherals allows.
The one I looked at was like $350.

Giant Speck
February 21st, 2009, 08:28 AM
The one I looked at was like $350.

The Wal-Mart website shows $348.00

It also says that it is only available on-line, and not in the store.

chmbrs
February 21st, 2009, 08:57 AM
I like Dells disclaimer
"The main thing to note is that when you choose open source you don’t get a Windows® operating system. If you’re here by mistake and you are looking for a Dell PC with Windows, please use the following link".

thats so funny

elmago79
February 21st, 2009, 09:30 AM
In the description they say, "This is a beginners laptop, not a Windows machine. It runs Ubuntu Linux, so you will not have all the functionality that Windows provides. However, Linux is good for basic tasks such are reading email and viewing pictures."

It's funny, but it thing this sort of thing may be good in the long run. I would expect a "beginners" laptop to have more stability and ease of use than the "fully fledged" one. You might be tempted to buy a "beginners" laptop for those that are, well, beginners. And that can only be good for Ubuntu.

tubezninja
February 21st, 2009, 04:25 PM
I like Dells disclaimer
:-k I wonder if this attitude is one of the reasons Windows has such a huge market share.

No. it's this attitude:

hahahhaha. winblows sucks and doesnt compare to linux in any way. thats good i hope soon they sell only ubuntu on all pcs and laptops everywhere and microsoft goes out of business.

Most people in the market for a laptop aren't going to immediately agree with the "nerdy guy who bashes M$" approach. For millions of users, Windows has "worked" just fine for them. it's what they grew up with. It's what many of them use at work. And it's what most of them use at home. As a result, the paradigm is heavily engrained, and "Micro$oft Sux!!!" is not the way to convince them to unlearn what they "know" and consider other options.

It's a lot like driving a car: everyone expects to have a steering wheel, foot pedals, and shifter. Doesn't matter if you've built a new shiny car with only touch screen displays, that uses only solar power, can go 0-60 in 6 seconds and costs under $10,000. It's still a very different way of driving, and laughing at someone's Ferrari - even if it breaks down a lot, guzzles gas and is expensive - isn't an effective way to sell your new car.

Wal-Mart's approach isn't the best either. But most people expect to have Microsoft Office, iTunes, Internet Explorer, and the ability to play DVDs right out of the box on their computers. You take those away, and that amounts to "reduced functionality" to most laypeople - even though it's possible to do these things on a Linux workstation, just using different methods. And anyone who hasn't used Linux before is most definitely a "beginner" to the platform, and has a learning curve ahead of them.

I guess within the confines of the UF echo chamber, people blithely forget these things.

I do wish Walmart had touted some of the benefits: better stability, higher security, greatly reduced risk of getting viruses and malware. But Walmart isn't exactly the Computer Emporium here. And I imagine most linux enthusiasts who specifically buy the laptop because it runs Ubuntu already know these things.

richg
February 21st, 2009, 10:24 PM
Oh my gosh!!!!

Were have you been? I bought a desktop configured with Linux from Walmart online in 12-2003. It is now running Ubuntu 8.04.

Rich

richg
February 22nd, 2009, 01:41 AM
Just remembered. Walmart has many more HP configured mini laptops. Linux configured are hardly a bump on the log.

Rich

Grant A.
February 22nd, 2009, 01:47 AM
I like Dells disclaimer

That's to protect them against litigation from retards. Trust me, the United States is full of legal trolls who would just love to sue Dell over something as simple as the operating system.

Faolan84
February 22nd, 2009, 06:01 AM
Used to work for Walmart about six months ago for almost two years. I can say that for such a large company I'm surprised they don't fall apart overnight with how poor most of their management is. Aside that, it does not surprise me that they are selling notebooks with Linux on them. I would just more concerned about the hardware they are running on more than anything else because if there is one thing that Walmart does better than anyone else is cut corners to save money. If they can sell computers without having to buy Windows licenses you can bet they will, and they'll probably be the first to do it. However, they've also been know to ship broken hardware and I can say from experience never buy a computer from Walmart and if you do don't bother with the extended warranty: they will not honour it.

I know this because (1) I worked there and (2) I knew most of the department and corporate policies to a T, and (3) I got screwed when I went to claim the extended warranty on an laptop I bought from them. Wouldn't be the first time they screwed their employees, much less their customers >.>

Giant Speck
February 22nd, 2009, 06:30 AM
I'm using a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4397 that my mother purchased back in January 2007 and gave to me as a gift, and it is still working fantastically.

azebuski
February 22nd, 2009, 08:59 PM
I found that Target is also selling ASUS Eee mini netbooks preloaded with Ubuntu. I picked up the ASUS 8.9" with Ubuntu 8.0.4, Intel Atom processor, 512MB RAM, and built in WiFi at 2.5 pounds for $269! It only has a 4GB solid state HD, but with the USB ports I can add an external HD and CD/DVD burner.

When machines are sold preloaded with Linux at major retailers, I hope it will help Linux catch on with more people who grew up with Windows and that's all they are used to. (that was me)

Some of the reviews people write of these machines discourage me from the idea of a lifelong Windows user making the switch to Linux.

"This is a toy! It came with something called Linux with
a few small games installed! It was too much trouble to return
to the store, so I gave it to my grand kids. If I knew it was a
toy game machine I would never have bought this."

"Linux has been around forever and is outdated and
impossible to update. It will not work with any AT&T router so I
am returning this thing and getting something with Windows."

And my favorite review, an actual review from Target.com (I can only hope this is a joke but you never know)

"VERY IMPORTANT! ALWAYS CLOSE THIS LAPTOP WHEN NOT IN USE!
This is a great little laptop for everyday use but make sure you
keep it closed when you are not using it due to privacy
concerns. The first time I finished using it I left it on and
open and that was a big mistake. I thought it was a secure
laptop but when I went across the room to change my clothes I
noticed that I was being watched. At first I didn’t notice the
eyes in the screen because every time I looked at the laptop the
eyes in the screen were closed. When you look at the screen with
your peripheral vision you can see the eyes watching you. I
thought the eyes were an included option but after careful
consideration, I realized it was a demon inside the laptop. Do
all these machines have internal demons or just a select few?
Can the end user delete him or do I have to have him removed by
the factory? Would this be covered under warranty? Do I have to
worry about him stealing my identity? Because of this problem
with the laptop, I will have to change my clothes in another
room, which is a major inconvenience. Take this into
consideration before you buy this model. Lisa from NYC"

Faolan84
February 22nd, 2009, 09:51 PM
That last review can't be serious. Sounds like something from "The Onion." Either that or Microsoft is paying people to go to these websites and post that kind of stuff. A lot of companies have been caught doing it so whenever you read customer reviews over the net -- especially on high traffic sites you should take things with a grain of salt and look at trends and wording of the reviews.

bgates
February 22nd, 2009, 09:57 PM
I found that Target is also selling ASUS Eee mini netbooks preloaded with Ubuntu. I picked up the ASUS 8.9" with Ubuntu 8.0.4, Intel Atom processor, 512MB RAM, and built in WiFi at 2.5 pounds for $269! It only has a 4GB solid state HD, but with the USB ports I can add an external HD and CD/DVD burner.

Wow, I had no idea. I bought one recently and Ubuntu was not an option. I did buy the one with Xandros and then nuked it and installed Eeebuntu myself.

zakany
February 23rd, 2009, 12:52 AM
I saw the Asus mini laptops with Linux (or WinXP) for sale at Toys R Us.

Sealbhach
February 23rd, 2009, 12:57 AM
OK, well people thinking of Linux as a "toy" or "for beginners" is a lot better than people being scared off by the command line.

Faolan84
February 23rd, 2009, 01:29 AM
I think that has more to do that these notebooks are marketed as toys. If they changed the UI around and built the hardware to look less like a child's plaything then indeed people would take them as a serious contender.

Honestly I'd say the best thing they could do is try being cool like. Advertise them as fashion like Apple does. Then sell them on functionality. I think that one step would be taking the stock Ubuntu and adding some flair to it (at least 14 pieces of flair :P). Make it look cool from the inside out then tell people they don't know what they are missing and talk about how cool they are.

I know that sounds shallow, but that's what marketing is and how it works. Honestly, I'd drop corporate blue (Kubuntu) and human brown (Ubuntu) and hop on the Green train. Make it "organic." That seems to be the trend. then come up with some cool slogan like "Expand your possibility" or "Open your life."

But what do I know, I'm just surrounded in ads and I'm quite observant when it comes to patterns.

The fact is that I would not be surprised if this is what Microsoft wants: to make Linux a toy in the eyes of the masses. That would eventually kill all chances of it ever being used on the desktops of the average user. It could even damage companies like RedHat when they try to sell their hardened server OS to their corporate clients whose only experience with Linux may be what runs in some toy laptop they gave to their kids. I could just imagine the conversation: "Oh, you offer Linux on your servers, my kid's toy runs Linux"

Face it, a good portion of the world isn't exactly smart when it it comes to computers because they just don't want to have to know about it. It's like me talking about automechanics -- I just don't care until something breaks.

The one thing Linux needs right now is appeal to the masses.