PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Uninstalling Pidgin

ritckare231
February 21st, 2009, 01:23 AM
Hey, beginner here. I checked several other "Solved" threads on this site but still can't get it to work. I've got a rather dated Dell Inspiron 3500 running Ubuntu 8.10, and I'm trying to uninstall Pidgin.

I've tried sudo apt-get remove --purge pidgin and sudo apt-get remove pidgin*, tried "sudo make uninstall" but was told the rule doesn't exist.

At this point I still have a notification that Pidgin is availible on my panel; the buddy list appears if this is clicked... and disappears before it can resolve into anything more than a white box and Pidgin icon. The pidgin folder (/usr/lib/pidgin) only has nautilis.so in it but can't be moved to trash or deleted.

Any ideas?

[/infodump]

EDIT: Solved. The reason I couldn't delete the folder was permissions... I was logged in as root but needed to delete with "sudo" from the terminal. D'oi.

Partyboi2
February 21st, 2009, 03:02 AM
Press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and log back in.

vginov
February 21st, 2009, 03:17 AM
hi

Give a restart and try. Most of the time restart works for this kind of problems.

ritckare231
February 21st, 2009, 07:26 PM
hi

Give a restart and try. Most of the time restart works for this kind of problems.

I'd already restarted it a few times before asking here. I've also "quit" from the panel icon - it's no longer on the panel, in the menu, etc., but I still can't delete or move the pidgin folder to the trash. The entire point was to free up disk space, so I really want to get rid of that.