PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] newbe installing to dell 8500

audience of one
February 21st, 2009, 12:44 AM
I have tried ubuntu and xubuntu, I get about the same thing. the install goes for a while then my numlock and caps lock flash and nothing more happens. I tried safe mode gui, and got further and then the same. any thoughts?

wpshooter
February 21st, 2009, 02:53 AM
Tell us some details about your Dell 8500.

Particularly, how much memory does it have ?

Does the Dell have any other O/Ss already installed on it ?

audience of one
February 21st, 2009, 04:24 AM
Tell us some details about your Dell 8500.

Particularly, how much memory does it have ?

Does the Dell have any other O/Ss already installed on it ?

Sorry I was in a bit of a hurry earlier :)
p4 2.6 512 meg ram 64 meg gforce mmmm 4300 I think? It has xp on it but I want to wipe it and start clean with ubuntu. I thought it would give me a disk partitioner like other flavors of linux I have tried. bad assumption?

wpshooter
February 21st, 2009, 01:55 PM
I would FIRST wipe the hard drive clean with www.killdisk.com and then I would do the installation with the ALTERNATE (text based) CD version of Ubuntu, would probably use Hardy flavor. The Alternate (and any other version of Ubuntu) WILL partition the drive during installation.

audience of one
February 21st, 2009, 04:33 PM
I would FIRST wipe the hard drive clean with www.killdisk.com and then I would do the installation with the ALTERNATE (text based) CD version of Ubuntu, would probably use Hardy flavor. The Alternate (and any other version of Ubuntu) WILL partition the drive during installation.

Great thanks, I am wiping it now, and would xubutu work or do I need to try a different one?

audience of one
February 21st, 2009, 05:43 PM
I tried regular ubunto, nomal install, and i have an x on the screen, and flashing caps, and num locks. what can I try from here?

audience of one
February 21st, 2009, 07:16 PM
tried install of ubunto latest version without splash. saw some buffer errors, got through what looked like everything, and tried to start xwindows, or whatever gui it uses. then hangs with a x on the screen and the blinking cap and num locks, hung. Can I keep trying with this one or do I need to use an alternate install. I am taking a guess that it doesn't like my graphics card Nvidia GeForce 4 4200 Go. anyone have a suggestion?

audience of one
February 21st, 2009, 10:28 PM
re did the alternate cd, on slow burn. tested cd and got a courrupt error on 1 file .2.4ppp or something. thought I would try the install again, ait it is failing with corrupt files. any thoughts? Do I have a bad cdrom drive?

audience of one
February 22nd, 2009, 02:45 AM
help any one?

audience of one
February 23rd, 2009, 03:39 PM
Ok, I got xubuntu alternate to install just fine. I thought I would then be able to upgrade to the 8.10 xubuntu. When I tried that it hung at the black screen and flashed the num lock and cap locks at me again.

Is a P4 2.6, 512 meg ram, 64 meg video too light for 8.10?

audience of one
February 25th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Ok, I got xubuntu alternate to install just fine. I thought I would then be able to upgrade to the 8.10 xubuntu. When I tried that it hung at the black screen and flashed the num lock and cap locks at me again.

Is a P4 2.6, 512 meg ram, 64 meg video too light for 8.10?

Got this fixed. installed xubuntu 8.0.4, upgraded to 8.10 afterwards. that worked!!!!!