PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me an External Hard Drive.

unoodles
February 21st, 2009, 12:11 AM
Ok I'm planning on buying a 500GB or 1TB external Hard Drive, but I've been looking on Amazon and NewEgg, and whatever one's I look at people say that it fails a lot.
Can anyone recommend me a good 500GB or 1TB External Hard Drive for under ~$130US ?

Stalker72
February 21st, 2009, 12:12 AM
Western Digital Elements :popcorn:

Stalker72

Skripka
February 21st, 2009, 12:16 AM
Ok I'm planning on buying a 500GB or 1TB external Hard Drive, but I've been looking on Amazon and NewEgg, and whatever one's I look at people say that it fails a lot.
Can anyone recommend me a good 500GB or 1TB External Hard Drive for under ~$130US ?

That is typical of ALL internet reviews.

There are TWO (2) types of reviewers:

-The tiny group who are ECSTATIC about their gadget working, and improving the quality of life

and

-The massive majority, of P*SSED off users who had their toy fall apart, or arrive broken from the manufacturer, or not do what they wanted, or their own incompetance broke it...blah blah blah.

The lesson being take reviews with a MASSIVE grain of salt. Newegg is a GREAT place to shop--but as with everywhere else, the above reviewer stereotype holds.

I like WD products myself.

SunnyRabbiera
February 21st, 2009, 12:17 AM
Yeh my WD external seems to be good too.

binbash
February 21st, 2009, 12:23 AM
I like WD products, i have matrox one touches (a dozen! :D ) , they were a lot cheaper comparted to WD but today 2 of them stopped working.So i suggest sticking to WD

unoodles
February 21st, 2009, 12:23 AM
That is typical of ALL internet reviews.

There are TWO (2) types of reviewers:

-The tiny group who are ECSTATIC about their gadget working, and improving the quality of life

and

-The massive majority, of P*SSED off users who had their toy fall apart, or arrive broken from the manufacturer, or not do what they wanted, or their own incompetance broke it...blah blah blah.

The lesson being take reviews with a MASSIVE grain of salt. Newegg is a GREAT place to shop--but as with everywhere else, the above reviewer stereotype holds.

I like WD products myself.

Thanks. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to buying online. I always just go to wal-mart and buy the shinyest thing I can find. :D

I think I'm going to go with this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Elements-External-WDE1UBK10000N/dp/B001JTQCU8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235171629&sr=1-2

Thanks for the recommendations.

ww711
February 21st, 2009, 12:32 AM
My Freecom 500 gig. has been solid so far.

murman
February 21st, 2009, 12:33 AM
:) Western Digital My Book Essential 2.0 NEW FIREFLY 1TB

ajgreeny
February 21st, 2009, 01:10 AM
An iomega that I have used for the past 12 months for backups is also good. Needs a separate power source, but that's no problem for my desktop, though would be, perhaps, for a laptop.

smartboyathome
February 21st, 2009, 01:17 AM
I've had my Maxtor Personal Basics 3200 external hard drive for a while now, and it has even survived being dropped once. I was able to run a whole OS on it for many months. I would highly recommend it.

tom66
February 21st, 2009, 01:19 AM
I have a Maxtor OneTouch III Mini 80 GB, it serves me well. I haven't got any other advice on a 500 GB to 1 TB drive, but a possibility is to get a standard IDE 2.5" (laptop) or desktop disk drive for a low price, and get a USB adapter for it. You also might want a case for it. It will be rugged-ish, reasonably fast, and upgradeable.