PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I lost Documents

wide-load
February 20th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I have a 3 day old installation of Intrepid. This morning I was editing a document and attempted to save it in my Documents directory. Documents didn't appear in the choices of where to store it. PLACES in the panel doesn't have it as an option when I Open that. The folder is still there, it contents are still there, I can drill down from my home folder and find it and it's contents. How do I restore it back to PLACES?

ugm6hr
February 20th, 2009, 10:36 PM
1. Open nautilus (file browser in standard Gnome Ubuntu).
2. Find Documents (/home/username/Documents)
3. Drag and drop Documents to bottom left pane (Shortcuts)

wide-load
February 20th, 2009, 11:31 PM
1. Open nautilus (file browser in standard Gnome Ubuntu).
2. Find Documents (/home/username/Documents)
3. Drag and drop Documents to bottom left pane (Shortcuts)

This is going to sound very novice but I can't figure out how to open Nautilis. I've opened up some files but the there is no bottom left pane that I can drag documents into.

ugm6hr
February 20th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Places -> Home Folder
Press F9
The Side Pane will appear / disappear
At top of side pane: another menu selection:
Select "Places"

If this doesn't make sense, go to Places -> Home Folder and post a screenshot of that. We can work out what the problem is from there (and put arrows on screenshot to solve).

wide-load
February 21st, 2009, 12:16 AM
Places -> Home Folder
Press F9
The Side Pane will appear / disappear
At top of side pane: another menu selection:
Select "Places"

If this doesn't make sense, go to Places -> Home Folder and post a screenshot of that. We can work out what the problem is from there (and put arrows on screenshot to solve).

When I press F9 the window "jumps" just slightly. No pane appears.

I took screenshots and uploaded them. If you can see them there is only a slight difference between them, if they uploaded. I can't seem them in my preview, so I don't know if they uploaded.

ugm6hr
February 21st, 2009, 12:22 AM
You didn't upload any screenshot.

Look at this: http://projects.gnome.org/nautilus/images/screenshot2.png

On the left (Sidebar), where it has "Tree" - click and select "Places" to enable the "Shortcuts" in bottom left.

EDIT: See screenshots.
Go to View -> Side Pane (make sure it is ticked)

wide-load
February 21st, 2009, 12:26 AM
I don't like the screen shots. I going to redo them. Here are 2, one with F9 depressed and with without. As you can see they look virtually the same.

wide-load
February 21st, 2009, 12:31 AM
On the left (Sidebar), where it has "Tree" - click and select "Places" to enable the "Shortcuts" in bottom left.

I couldn't find Tree.

EDIT: See screenshots.
Go to View -> Side Pane (make sure it is ticked)

Side Pane was Ticked

wide-load
February 21st, 2009, 12:41 AM
I've got an old backup system. I just tried it. F9 does work on it. On this one it doesn't. Something is wrong on the system.

wide-load
February 21st, 2009, 02:58 AM
As an additional piece of information. I logged into my wife's account on this machine. F9 works on her account. It's just this account that's having the problem.

ugm6hr
February 21st, 2009, 08:38 AM
I'm not sure what has happened.

All I can suggest is renaming / removing the ~/.nautilus file (where your settings are stored) and trying again.

mv ~/.nautilus ~/.nautilusbkp

Then log out and log back in again.

If it makes things worse:

rm ~/.nautilus
mv ~/.nautilusbkp ~/.nautilus

wide-load
February 21st, 2009, 04:06 PM
I'm not sure what has happened.

All I can suggest is renaming / removing the ~/.nautilus file (where your settings are stored) and trying again.

mv ~/.nautilus ~/.nautilusbkp

Then log out and log back in again.

If it makes things worse:

rm ~/.nautilus
mv ~/.nautilusbkp ~/.nautilus

Thanks for the advice. It's a busy weekend and I'll probably not get a chance to try it until first of next week. I'll probably try it on my old backup system first to make sure there are no unexpected "surprises".

wide-load
February 21st, 2009, 10:39 PM
Case Closed ( And is my face RED.) I'm feeling like the Ubuntu IDIOT. Just now I had my cursor on the extreme left hand side of Nautlis and I discovered that the cursor changed to a double ended arrow. The window had been shrunk on the left hand side, collapsing the pane.

Thanks for all your help on this.