PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help installing Ubuntu on my system.

firebird79
February 20th, 2009, 09:35 PM
i was trying to install ubuntu on my computer but i kept getting errors across the screen like "logical block errors" and a bunch of numbers as well.

help???? please

Tek-E
February 20th, 2009, 09:37 PM
What version of ubuntu are you trying to install?

firebird79
February 20th, 2009, 09:38 PM
the newest one

firebird79
February 20th, 2009, 09:39 PM
its an old computer running with 256mb of ram but the specifications for the download said that that was good enough, could that be the problem?

bapoumba
February 20th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I have edited the thread title (help is not very informative).
Does the live CD run on your computer?

Tek-E
February 20th, 2009, 09:43 PM
8.10 right?
That could be your problem.
From my own personal experiences I have never had "good" experiences in trying to install Ubuntu on older machines. Either they lagged to much for my own enjoyment or they just refused to install no matter how much tweaking I did. What exactley were your error messages? That might help if I knew exactly what they said. If ubuntu still fails I recommend at least trying Xubuntu I ran it on my older machines and It worked like a dream.

linuxisevolution
February 20th, 2009, 09:45 PM
It sounds like a hard drive problem. Try formatting it first with Gparted.

Therion
February 20th, 2009, 09:45 PM
i was trying to install ubuntu on my computer but i kept getting errors across the screen like "logical block errors" and a bunch of numbers as well.
Been there, seen this.

Reburn your CD and this time, burn it slooooow. No faster than 16x (8x preferred) for a CD and do a read-verify of the finished product if your burning application allows for it. And it doesn't find another one that does.

Also, if at possible, using a Torrent download is preferable to an HTTP download, as Torrent files self-verify as they download.

firebird79
February 20th, 2009, 09:55 PM
well i burned the cd as slow as i could, and it runs on the computer up to the main screen where it has the options to install or running it from the cd. but as soon as i choose either option the i get all the error messges like buffer I/O error along with numbers that look like 208.0001231 followed by a logical block error.

someone suggested i run xbuntu. how do i run this?

firebird79
February 20th, 2009, 10:44 PM
my errors look something like this

178.980000 Buffer I/O error on device FD0, Logical Block 0
212.896000 Buffer I/O error on device FD0, Logical Block 0

jonobe
February 21st, 2009, 12:21 AM
You can download Xubuntu as a CD image(ISO) to your desktop,

http://www.xubuntu.org/get

then burn it as a Live CD. I found Ubuntu just too heavy for older machines. Xubuntu is light and fast and runs well on my 256mb ram laptop. My 512Mb ram is great for Ubuntu/Kubuntu.