PDA

View Full Version : Software developement on linux

cjnkns
February 20th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I am just wondering of the people whom use Linux for web/software development how you like it compared to Windows? I realize this is a strange question to be asking on a Linux site of course.

Sometimes I feel like on Windows I can get the best of both worlds. If I need/want to do C# I can. If Java, Ruby, Python etc.. I can. If I need to do bash scripting I can install cygwin and use that to execute my bash scripts.

But, I seem to be having a hard time getting acquainted with Linux for daily development use. So that is really a huge reason why I keep going back to Windows. I feel like a crack addict sometimes....

Sorry if this post goes no where guess I needed to take a break from work :)

konqueror7
February 20th, 2009, 07:31 PM
mmm...i don't know, i think its really subjective to the person...i used ubuntu when developing in php and java, but .net of course, its much better if you run it under a native windows (i'm using vbox though, :))

also, i think when developing in linux, you might say you feel more secured that your files won't get infected with viruses...hehe

rickyjones
February 20th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I prefer using Windows. I run Eclipse in Windows for Java. I use Dreamweaver for PHP/MySQL work. The only thing I miss from Linux is having apache/mysql/php on the local host easily. I have XAMPP here but it has issues with Windows 7 so far... or else I can't figure out how to set the proper permissions...

Thanks,
Richard

Namtabmai
February 20th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Linux all the way. I've been doing cross platform programming professionally for about 9 years now, and for the past 8 months I've had to switch to Windows as my work development platform. It's nothing but a pain,

The Linux tools are so much better and easy for a developer than the Windows counter parts. And from the coding side, if it works on Linux, 95% of the time it will work with minor fixes on OS X. Windows? Yeah good luck with that.

Simian Man
February 20th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Try installing libraries like boost or wxWidgets on both systems and tell me which is better for developers.

Vadi
February 20th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I prefer Linux, but the tools I use (geany, bzr, c, lua, gtk, gcc/mingw) are cross-platform.