PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 'delete' key invokes screenshot after recent update

asynchronous13
February 20th, 2009, 04:30 PM
After an update yesterday, a couple things changed on my machine. The most annoying to me is that my 'Delete' key is now mapped to the take-a-screenshot application. How do I change this hot-key?

Another preference that was changed -- in the Desktop Cube/Rotate Cube I could initiate rotation by clicking the left and right mouse button simultaneously. This preference is now disabled and I can't remember where I first enabled it (I can still rotate the cube using Ctrl-Alt-Left Mouse)

Another change, now my notification area has an icon of an A/C outlet. Hooray, my desktop is not running on batteries. How do I make this go away?

Partyboi2
February 21st, 2009, 06:03 AM
After an update yesterday, a couple things changed on my machine. The most annoying to me is that my 'Delete' key is now mapped to the take-a-screenshot application. How do I change this hot-key?
Have you tried changing the hotkey in System>Pref>Keyboard Shortcuts?

Another change, now my notification area has an icon of an A/C outlet. Hooray, my desktop is not running on batteries. How do I make this go away?
Are you able to right click on it and remove it from panel?

asynchronous13
February 21st, 2009, 06:52 AM
Have you tried changing the hotkey in System>Pref>Keyboard Shortcuts?

That's the thing, in System>Pref>Keyboard Shortcuts, 'Take a screenshot' is mapped to the 'Print Screen' key. Which makes sense. I even re-set it in the dialog box. However, when I press 'Print Screen' nothing happens. Every time I press 'Delete', a dialog pops up titled 'Save Screenshot'. My delete key worked normally yesterday....

Are you able to right click on it and remove it from panel?

If I left-click on the icon, the choices are: Suspend / Hibernate

If I right-click on the icon, the choices are: Preferences / Power History / Help / About

So I select Preferences, in the General tab I click on the radio-button 'Never display an icon'. yet the icon remains.

asynchronous13
February 21st, 2009, 07:04 AM
Well, I probably should have tried rebooting a lot sooner. On the first re-boot, I was greeted with "Internal Error: Failed to Initialize HAL"

There was only an option to logout, no option to shutdown. From the login screen I shutdown again. The 2nd reboot appears to have fixed things.

weird.

Partyboi2
February 21st, 2009, 07:07 AM
Must of been the gremlins.
At least its all sorted now :)

asynchronous13
July 9th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Well, the exact same thing happened again.

Yesterday, there was a notification that I should reboot the computer, so I did. Today, the A/C plug icon was in the upper right corner again, and the 'Delete' key was once again mapped to take a screenshot.

Reboot fixed, but I'm wondering what triggers it. So far, the common event is that it occurs just after an update + reboot cycle.

asynchronous13
October 15th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Well, it happened again.

After a log-out / log-in cycle yesterday, my desktop thinks its a laptop again (there's an A/C adapter icon in the upper right corner). And 'Delete' takes a screenshot instead of, well, deleting.

Reboot normally fixes this, but I'll keep documenting in case I can figure out a pattern of when/how/why this happens.