PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] trouble re-installing

tim1970
February 20th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I installed 8.10 on my compaq presario without any problems. However, my wireless network did not work, so I tried several solutions to get it working. Now I am wanting to re-install 8.10 from scratch, because I am afraid I messed something up, while trying to fix my wireless. When I put the CD in and boot up, the Ubuntu menu comes up just fine, but when I choose install, the cd just spins and nothing happens. I have tried burning a second CD, and it does the same thing. When I take the CD out, my machine boots up fine from the hard drive.

Also, it freezes up when I try any other options also, such as Try without any Change, Check CD for defects, or Test memory.

Any suggestions? Also, I am not dual-booting, the entire hard drive is for 8.10.

Thanks

Tim

taurus
February 20th, 2009, 04:34 PM
At the initial screen, run the check cd for defects option to make sure the cd is still good to go.

tim1970
February 20th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I can't run check cd for defects. when I select this or any other option besides boot from hard drive, the cd drive just spins and nothing happens.

taurus
February 20th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Do you have access to another computer that you can test out the disc? If the disc boots just fine with another machine, then there is something wrong with your compaq. But if it does the same thing, spinning but not booting, then there is something wrong with the disc.

Try to eliminate one thing at a time to see which one causes the trouble.