PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade my Processor?

JackieChan
February 20th, 2009, 09:28 AM
As of right now, my computer is running on a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 GHz Processor. I just recently upgraded my RAM to 2.5 GB, should I also upgrade my Processor?

jespdj
February 20th, 2009, 09:34 AM
That depends entirely on what you do with your computer. Do you feel that it's running too slow? Have you tried finding out which component is the slowest? It doesn't make sense to put a fast processor in your computer if something else is causing the computer to run slow.

thegreenblob
February 20th, 2009, 09:34 AM
That depends, do you find your PC slow or unresponsive? :popcorn:

If the speed doesn't bother you I don't see a point. But if it does, go for it. Or if you're just rich and have money to blow also go for it. :lolflag:

JackieChan
February 20th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Outside of casual computer uses like IM, school work, writing, and web browsing, I just use my computer for gaming (more of the older games like The Sims 2, Battlefield 2142, Diablo 2, etc) and audio/video editing.

Don't really have any speed issues, but I would love to get greedy and have it run faster. :lolflag:

mips
February 20th, 2009, 09:46 AM
A multiple core cpu really does make a significant difference compared to single core cpus.

glotz
February 20th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I wouldn't upgrade such a fast processor. If you want more speed, do it the interesting way, I mean select lighter software to go with it and hack off any bloat.

JackieChan
February 20th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't upgrade such a fast processor. If you want more speed, do it the interesting way, I mean select lighter software to go with it and hack off any bloat.
Yeah, I just might do that. Actually, I've also been thinking about going to a lighter operating system, like Arch.

adamlau
February 20th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Always upgrade your hardware if you can afford it. And why not? Arch on a faster processor will be faster than Arch on a slower one. Do it ;) .

3rdalbum
February 20th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Consult your computer documentation... does the processor use a Socket 939 or an AM2?

If it's a socket 939, you might have problems finding a better CPU that will work - AMD switched away from Socket 939 years ago. If it's an AM2, then I'd say go right ahead and change the processor - all current AMD processors will work if you update your BIOS, and you can get a whole lot of extra speed very cheaply!

This is, assuming you have the money to do this and are not frightened by the thought of doing it yourself :-)