PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Tablet Pc?

Boaslad
February 20th, 2009, 05:22 AM
I've been wanting a convertible tablet PC (like a HP Compaq TC4400 for example) for a quite a while and finally have enough money to get one. I just don't know which one to get, so I thought I would ask you, my fellow Ubuntu users, what you use.

Make and Model?
Any difficulties with getting the key features working under K/X/Ubuntu? (tablet configuration? Wifi? Other?)

Or is this even doable?...

Thanks, in advance.

tmeier
February 20th, 2009, 09:33 PM
If you do a search in the forums for Tablet you will find a wealth of information. If you want to narrow it down a little, first go to the laptop/notebook section and then do a search for Tablet.

I personally use a Lenovo X41T (about 3 yrs old). It works great. Installs most things out of the box. I did have to do some configuring for the tablet and pen, which I found at thinkwiki.org.

joey-elijah
February 20th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but how it Ubuntu for touchscreens? From a users perspective - does it work properly? Any bugs?

I'm not sure what's going on with Mobiln, but i'd love an Ubuntu Touch Interface like ('not a clone, but the principle') ASUS's upcoming Windows XP touch interface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mvtU4xZPvQ

Favux
February 21st, 2009, 05:02 AM
It depends on the make and model of your digitizer. The linuxwacom project's drivers work pretty good for Wacom digitizers in tablet pc's. They do give you touch. There's also reasonable support for N-trig digitizers in the latest versions. You'll get touch but not multi-touch as of yet.

If you have a touch screen then the evtouch drivers work pretty well depending on the manufacturer of the touch screen. And there are some proprietary drivers available