PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to change workspaces using the terminal

Blackdragon1400
February 20th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Hey guys, got a noob question for you. How do you use the terminal to change to a different workspace. I am writing some .sh shell scripts to run some commands I need. The problem is they both run continuously so I would like to have them both open in two different workspaces. Any clue on how to do this???

Thanks

cconroy
February 20th, 2009, 06:26 AM
It sounds like what you really want to do is run them in the background

the following script would print "hi" very quickly...

longCommand1&
longCommand2&
echo "hi"

the & instructs the shell to run the process in the background and not wait for it to terminate.

Blackdragon1400
February 20th, 2009, 11:24 PM
If I run the process in the background how do I pull it up to see what it is doing ex. my script will be running commands verbosely so I would like to see some of that output

zhocchao
February 21st, 2009, 12:01 AM
you're looking for wmctrl

Blackdragon1400
February 21st, 2009, 05:21 AM
im having some trouble getting wmctrl to work the way a would like it to, it seems to work on a basis of having multiple "Desktops" not so much for workspaces. I dont belive that this program has full support for what I need, I even had problems getting it to maximize a window. Any suggestions?

Armor Nick
February 21st, 2009, 07:06 AM
Try using GNU screen (I think it's installed by default) or just use a tabbed terminal emulator. Heck, you could even use your virtual terminals if you want (Ctl+Alt+F* and replace * with a number from 1 to 6).

cconroy
February 21st, 2009, 08:01 PM
If I run the process in the background how do I pull it up to see what it is doing ex. my script will be running commands verbosely so I would like to see some of that output

You could redirect the output. e.g.

chris@serenity:~$ cat blah.sh
sleep 2
echo "hi"
sleep 2
echo "hi again"
exit

chris@serenity:~$ sh blah.sh>blah.txt &
[2] 31827
chris@serenity:~$ tail -f blah.txt
hi
hi again

Take a look at the TLDP documentation for Bash I/O redirection (http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/io-redirection.html) if you need to do something fancier.

cubeist
February 21st, 2009, 08:19 PM
Actually, if you are using compiz, there is a way to do this... First write your shell scripts so that each separate process opens in a specific terminal (in gnome, you can create terminal profiles with unique names). The command to run a script in a specific terminal would look like this:

gnome-terminal --window-with-profile=asdf
Then in compiz, use the place plugin to place that window in a specific viewport... then everytime you run your shells, the new terminal windows will automatically be placed where you want them..

hope I explained this ok...good luck