PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant Get any form of Ubuntu to Boot

_graphite_
February 20th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Hi, my friend just got an old XP setup for free from his friend, and he has given me the task of fixing it up so that he can sell it.

Heres what I have available to me right now:

(In the problem PC: )

LITE-ON DVD/CD Combo Drive
1 IDE 80GB HD (working)
1 IDE 115GB HD (old)
XP Professional (no activation code at hand)
AMD Athlon 26000 2.13 GHz
1024 GB RAM

and 2 other computers; One with SATA and Vista+Ubuntu, Other one uses IDE and XP (both are working fully)

Okay, when i first got the machine, I noticed it was using an unactivated copy of XP Pro, and had like 20 something days left of trial, so i decided to put Ubuntu on it so whoever I'm selling it to doesn't have to deal with an unregistered copy of XP.

Now, I download an iso for ubuntu, and i open up a dvd burning program and throw a blank in. Nothing detects a DVD is even in there.
I assume its a software/driver issue so i download the latest drivers for the drive and run them. Says something like "LITE-ON LH-48161H was not detected, Detected Drives: '1 - LITE-ON LH-48161H'"
So now I think maybe a CD will work. I throw in a blank CD, and drag the files over to the DETECTED cd, and it informs me that the CD was successfully written.
I pull out the CD, and look at it and it looks like there is data on it, so i stick it back in and reboot. BIOS skips CD, and goes straight to XP.
I restart, setting it to only boot from CD, and it gives me and error somewhat like: "Disk Failed. Press Enter to reboot". ugh.

What should I do?

_graphite_
February 20th, 2009, 03:45 AM
This article was very good,http://www.dggrmy.com/fangmeipian/ .

Thanks thats exactly what i needed.... Japanese Silica Jel...

EDIT: Now that I realize that you are a advertising bot, that makes the post a lot less funny.

_graphite_
February 20th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Anyone else willing to help that is real?

Heavenly Bicorn
February 20th, 2009, 04:48 AM
The cd might have an error on it, which is likely considering you are having problems with the drive and disc being recognized.

My suggestion is to burn the iso on another disc on another computer and then try booting from the disc in the old computer.

Also, have you tried checking the cables for the combo drive? Maybe it's not connected correctly or it's loose?