PDA

View Full Version : My Letter To My Bank

Maheriano
February 20th, 2009, 02:50 AM
**Hopefully this letter finds its way to the head of the IT department. I'm not at all interested in answers about my issues, nor an apology of any sort. This email is my message to you as to how you can fix your software system while saving money doing so. You won't lose me as a customer over this so don't worry about it.**

I was just at one of your branches with a problem and was alarmed at what I found. At the beginning of the month I had put money into an ATM and later that day wrote a cheque for the money I deposited. Of course the money was held, the cheque bounced and I was enquiring about it. Here's what happened:

I move money from my RBC account every month into this account just to pay my rent via cheque. There is a serious lack of communication between banks and moving money around is impossible without incurring some type of fee. I can't do it online because I'd have to either wait for it to clear or pay a fee to email it. I can't do it at the ATM because I'd have to wait for that to clear. My only option is to do it at the teller, waiting in line behind the rest of the city who is doing the same thing and being late for work. So the guy offered to set me up on an automatic transfer every month which would be immediate, he just needs my RBC account information. I asked him if I gave it to him, would be be able to do a test run to see if it's correct but apparently he can't. Either the information is correct or it'll come back in a few days as failed. This is a serious lack of communication between banks.

So he checked my credit to see if I should be at a partial 200 hold (holding all my deposits over $200) and he said no, my lack of credit with the credit company keeps me at the partial 200 hold. The most bizarre part of this is that he checked an external credit service instead of simply checking my banking history with TD. I've been with TD on and off for the last 10-15 years so the bank has a complete history of me and what my spending tendencies are. Instead of using this goldmine of free information they have access to, they decide to check an external credit bureau which they can't get any information from except the fact that I don't have much credit. Does this make sense? If you have a complete spending history for someone, why don't you use it?

Then he tells me he made a mistake and it should actually be a partial 600 hold and he changed it. I asked why it didn't update automatically and he said it's because the system doesn't work like that. That's interesting, I have to personally ask for it? Should I go back tomorrow and ask again?

Lastly, when I use the ATM to enter my PIN, it makes a very loud beeping noise every time I push a button. This means the crackhead asleep on the floor behind me now knows how many numbers are in my PIN, do you think this is a good thing or a bad thing? Number input in the ATM should be silent to keep as secret as possible. The user can see how many numbers they pushed by the number of stars (*) on the screen.

Now on to the part where I help you. You probably get a lot of complaint letters but what good are they if nobody provides solutions? I'm a software developer, the largest oil companies in the world trust their seismic data management to software I created. So for me to hear an answer of, "Our system doesn't work like that" is unacceptable. If it doesn't work that way and I have clearly pointed out that it should, then change it. I can see the problem arises when you start getting into proprietary software, version releases and project management to modify a piece of software like this.....if your license for the product even allows it. I can see that it would be very expensive and my single savings account is not enough of an influence for you to even think about deploying a team of developers and a manager to oversee the project just to make me happy. You need to think larger than that.

If you've ever used Linux as an alternative to Windows, you know about the open source nature of it and the GNU General Public License (GPL). If you were to take your source code that runs all your systems and release it to the public, then guys like me could take it and modify it to make it better. What's best is that you would have this network of worldwide developers at your disposal, updating your product completely free of charge. Ultimately you and your team would be responsible for what gets accepted into the master copy of the source code and what doesn't but you wouldn't have to worry about version releases and deadlines. It wouldn't be long until other banks adopted the idea as well, then my problems of testing the account information to see if it is correct would be gone. You could hit a button that says TEST and it'll ping RBC to see if the entered information for my account is valid. When my credit improves, it would automatically update my account with the new hold policies, everything would work exactly how the customer wants it to because the customer is the one modifying it.

I guarantee you open source software is the way of the future and will save your company millions of dollars in development costs in the future. And if you're worried about security, all source code is reviewed by your team prior to being accepted into the master version and of course nothing is going to work outside your network. And the beeping ATM.....well that's an easy fix.

TBOL3
February 20th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Very good letter, verry well written, I hope it goes somewhere. But why did you put it here?

Maheriano
February 20th, 2009, 03:32 AM
It's about Linux and open source so I posted it on the forum. Is it in the wrong spot? I have no idea how these sub forums are organized, sorry.

gletob
February 20th, 2009, 03:36 AM
So he checked my credit to see if I should be at a partial 200 hold (holding all my deposits over $200) and he said no, my lack of credit with the credit company keeps me at the partial 200 hold. The most bizarre part of this is that he checked an external credit service instead of simply checking my banking history with TD. I've been with TD on and off for the last 10-15 years so the bank has a complete history of me and what my spending tendencies are. Instead of using this goldmine of free information they have access to, they decide to check an external credit bureau which they can't get any information from except the fact that I don't have much credit. Does this make sense? If you have a complete spending history for someone, why don't you use it?

If I remember correctly every time your credit is checked it pings (Slightly lowers) your credit score.

BTW I bank with the Virginia Credit Union and Bank of America and both are extremely helpful. (I don't know what I'd do with out the Credit Union)

TBOL3
February 20th, 2009, 04:22 AM
It's about Linux and open source so I posted it on the forum. Is it in the wrong spot? I have no idea how these sub forums are organized, sorry.

No, it's in the right place. I just thought that it was interesting that you showed it to us.

Maheriano
February 20th, 2009, 04:58 AM
No, it's in the right place. I just thought that it was interesting that you showed it to us.

Oh, sorry, I didn't get my point across very well. I should have mentioned this in the first post, I was going to make the post as a question but got sidetracked and moved on to something else.

So what if the open source community created a universal open source banking package? Something that was continuously updated and eventually got adopted by all the banks to ease the headaches of day to day banking? This is where I was going with it, I think it would solve a lot of problems and free up a lot of money in the economy. Then we could move on to creating applications for other companies and eventually everything would be open source and you could contribute to anything you wanted. It's my dream world I guess.

cariboo
February 20th, 2009, 05:52 AM
This really has nothing to do with the OP's post, but it does involve RBC. In the mid 90's I worked for a company that manufactures ATMs among other thngs. Several times while doing a scheduled maintenance on the atm, I overheard the ladies checking the overnight deposits mention that people put IOU's in a deposit envelope, they always laughed about it and had some little story about the person who did it. I have to mention that I live in an area that has a large first nations population, and these were the people that were depositing the IOU's.

That could be why they have the policy about putting holds on deposits made using the atm.

Jim

p_quarles
February 20th, 2009, 06:15 AM
And if you're worried about security, all source code is reviewed by your team prior to being accepted into the master version and of course nothing is going to work outside your network.
I can assure you that your bank does not have the extra cash lying around to hire enough software engineers to thoroughly check every line of code in a GNU/Linux distro for possible security vulnerabilities. You are vastly underestimating the convenience of your solution here.

tbroderick
February 20th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Number input in the ATM should be silent to keep as secret as possible. The user can see how many numbers they pushed by the number of stars (*) on the screen.

Blind and visually impaired people use ATMs too.