PDA

View Full Version : Linux...first usenet post

NinjaWork
February 20th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Ahhh...this is great...I'm sure a lot of people already have seen this, but it is the first for me ;-)

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.minix/msg/b813d52cbc5a044b?dmode=source&pli=1

Path: gmdzi!unido!fauern!ira.uka.de!sol.ctr.columbia.edu !zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!wupost!uunet!mcsun!news.funet.fi!hydra!k laava!torvalds
From: torva...@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
Subject: What would you like to see most in minix?
Summary: small poll for my new operating system
Keywords: 386, preferences
Message-ID: <1991Aug25.205708.9541@klaava.Helsinki.FI>
Date: 25 Aug 91 20:57:08 GMT
Organization: University of Helsinki
Lines: 20

Hello everybody out there using minix -

I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing
since april, and is starting to get ready. I'd like any feedback on
things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
(same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
among other things).

I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
I'd like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions
are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)

Linus (torva...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)

PS. Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

jimi_hendrix
February 20th, 2009, 02:37 AM
whats usenet?

NinjaWork
February 20th, 2009, 02:38 AM
whats usenet?

it's something that existed a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away :p

juanmoreno92
February 20th, 2009, 02:39 AM
The Stone Age before the internet.

jimi_hendrix
February 20th, 2009, 02:41 AM

there was a time before the internet?!?!?!?!11?!?!!1!?!!?

Eisenwinter
February 20th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I know. I couldn't believe it either, but somehow, they convinced me, somewhat.

NinjaWork
February 20th, 2009, 02:48 AM
OK guys...I remember when we got the first color TV. Before, it was all B&W.

My Dad remembers when the first TV came into the neighborhood.

Way before cell phones!

jimi_hendrix
February 20th, 2009, 02:49 AM
now forizzle, what is usenet?

Brunellus
February 20th, 2009, 03:10 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

USENET is, in many ways, a lot better than web-based forums. Of particular interest to me, as a mod, is the mod-free nature of USENET--there, moderation is handled at a per-user filtering level; if you don't like what a user says, just add him to your killfile and you never have to deal with him again.

Because Web-based forums have little or no killfile ability, we tend to be much more mod-centric. This is why I tell people that if they want a real mod-free experience, they should find the appropriate USENET newsgroup. Otherwise, learn to live with the moderating standards of whosever forum you happent to be using.

jimi_hendrix
February 20th, 2009, 03:33 AM
and this magical place is free?

jpkotta
February 20th, 2009, 03:38 AM

Usenet ran on the internet...

Web != Internet

Coreigh
February 20th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Hey Brunellus, Why the hell don't we do that any more, the user level filtering? Have users become so "rock-headed" that they spend more time bitching than filtering or what? Don't get me wrong its great to have a mod around to handle something but they shouldn't have to be the 'web-police'.

MaxIBoy
February 20th, 2009, 03:39 AM
It costs about as much as email does. That is to say, it used to cost cents on the kilobyte, but now it's free.

Think "mailing list where everyone can send mail to everyone." Have you ever been in a Google Group or something similar? Same concept.

Brunellus
February 20th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Hey Brunellus, Why the hell don't we do that any more, the user level filtering? Have users become so "rock-headed" that they spend more time bitching than filtering or what? Don't get me wrong its great to have a mod around to handle something but they shouldn't have to be the 'web-police'.
I'm no expert, but my guess is that it has everything to do with the underlying architecture of the system. USENET merely stores and relays messages; filtering is handled by individual users' news-reader clients. On webforums, any filtering would have to be handled on the server side.

In USENET, we shift the cost (in processing time, disk space, etc.) to individual users; but if we were to implement user-level filtering on webforums, the burden is borne entirely by the central server.

I-75
February 20th, 2009, 03:46 AM

Yes, we communicated by dial telephones, ... cellphones didn't exist and used something called CB radio instead, there was something called BBS, fax and the post office. There were no CDs, DVDs, no HDTV, we had 8 track tapes, cassettes and vinyl records, rubiks cube and board games.

lol how did we ever survive???

NinjaWork
February 20th, 2009, 03:49 AM
here's a little preInternet history:

http://www.textfiles.com/

Tux Aubrey
February 20th, 2009, 12:23 PM
yes, yes, and I once had a computer made of bakelite that had 6" valves. (I didn't really, but now I want one.)

Linus's original usenet posting (remember that from the OP?) is the Linux equivalent of Abraham Lincoln's log cabin. We shall pass that story on to our children (those of us who aren't total geeks, of course).;)

Sand & Mercury
February 20th, 2009, 12:54 PM
That's very cute. Linus never expected Linux to get anywhere. Now I'm typing this message, with his handiwork.

Life is funny like that :lol:

Brunellus
February 21st, 2009, 04:57 AM
Yes, we communicated by dial telephones, ... cellphones didn't exist and used something called CB radio instead, there was something called BBS, fax and the post office. There were no CDs, DVDs, no HDTV, we had 8 track tapes, cassettes and vinyl records, rubiks cube and board games.

lol how did we ever survive???
I still have the telegram my granddad sent me for my 8th birthday.

andrew.46
February 28th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Hi jimi,

Fire up a usenet client and have a look at alt.os.linux.ubuntu, see you there :-).

Andrew

frenchn00b
November 7th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Hi jimi,

Fire up a usenet client and have a look at alt.os.linux.ubuntu, see you there :-).

Andrew

How does it work to get access to it?

thank in advance. How to configure the beast in the image? it says diconnected or idle :(

andrew.46
November 7th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Hi frenchman,

How to configure the beast in the image? it says diconnected or idle :(

Looks like you have alt.os.linux.ubuntu configured as a server, you need to set 'server' to your NNTP server then select alt.os.linux.ubuntu as a newsgroup you wish to read.

Andrew

Sealbhach
November 7th, 2009, 02:00 PM
That's very cute. Linus never expected Linux to get anywhere. Now I'm typing this message, with his handiwork.

Life is funny like that :lol:

It was a case of being in the right place at the right time. The GNU project needed a kernel and the rest is history:

Although nearly all components have been completed long ago and have been in production use for a decade or more, its official kernel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_%28software%29), GNU Hurd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd), is incomplete and not all GNU components work with it.[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)] Thus, the third-party Linux kernel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel) is most commonly used instead.

from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU)