PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop is empty and nothing from places drop down menu will load...

thermobee
February 20th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I uninsalled the bluetooth app( and all the apps that had anything to do with it) thinking i wont need it on my desktop. As soon as i did that my whole desktop disappeared and even my trash icon on the bottom right corner is gone.

I realized what i did so i went back and installed it again, but nothing. I tried switching file managers to Thunar and that did do it either.

Now when i do click on Thunar File Manager I can find all my files including the stuff that i had on my desktop, but i have no idea how to bring everything back to normal.

Please help me out ,any ideas are appreciated.
Thank you in advance

thermobee
February 20th, 2009, 12:12 AM
bump

thermobee
February 20th, 2009, 12:16 AM
If i try to click on folders such as music, documents and pictures i get this message

No application is registered as handling this file

Crusher
February 20th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Which version of ubuntu are you using?
Which bluetooth package did you remove? (its name)

thermobee
February 20th, 2009, 12:31 AM
ubuntu 8.10
bluetooth analyzer (i reinstalled it tho), it also made me uninstall all the programs related to the analyzer

thermobee
February 20th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Interesting thing is that the computer icon is showing from the Places drop down menu and it works but if drag it onto the desktop it just disappears.

Crusher
February 20th, 2009, 12:47 AM
It sounds like you might have uninstalled the Ubuntu file manager.

Open up a terminal and try

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

You might have to logout and then log back in for it to work.

Let me know how it goes.

thermobee
February 20th, 2009, 12:48 AM
anyone?

thermobee
February 20th, 2009, 12:49 AM

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

You might have to logout and then log back in for it to work.

Let me know how it goes.
doing it now

thermobee
February 20th, 2009, 12:53 AM
yup it worked, thank you for your help

Crusher
February 20th, 2009, 12:55 AM
No worries

running_rabbit07
July 16th, 2009, 02:27 AM

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktopYou might have to logout and then log back in for it to work.

Let me know how it goes.

Just wanted to throw out there that I just had the same problem and this fixed it. I uninstalled the Bluetooth program from Synaptic and lost my file manager.

"Thank You" Crusher and the forum managers that didn't delete this thread.

crstrand
August 13th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I'm using 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope.
I uninstalled Bluetooth also thinking it was rediculous to load it when my desktop will never have bluetooth.
Anyway, I got the dreaded, "no application is registered as handling this file" when trying to use the 'file manager'.
I reinstlled the bluetooth stuff and gnome-panel (I read that in some other thread) to no avail.
Reinstalling ubuntu-desktop did the trick!

Thanks be to Ubuntu forums!

Is there any way to uninstall an app without clobbering everything it depends on (which other apps may also depend on)?