PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else found that KDE just isn't stable?

JimmyJazz
December 23rd, 2005, 11:55 AM
don't get me wrong I love KDE but, compared to gnome I have noticed its not nearly as stable (I just rebooted from a full sytem crash).
Let not turn this into another flame warm but is it possible to get my KDE more stable?

sapo
December 23rd, 2005, 11:59 AM
Thats why i dont use it :)

awakatanka
December 23rd, 2005, 12:02 PM
don't get me wrong I love KDE but, compared to gnome I have noticed its not nearly as stable (I just rebooted from a full sytem crash).
Let not turn this into another flame warm but is it possible to get my KDE more stable?
Stability is a big word, What at that moment did you do? I didn't have stability errors in kde, only thing it crashed is because i did some stupid things because i'm a newbee and trying everything out.

JimmyJazz
December 23rd, 2005, 12:06 PM
I listened to a song in BMP and it crashed my entire sytem.

other issues include...

Amarok (a wonderful app btw) crashes every other song it seems almost.
Quanta just falls apart for no reason during use.
General slow downs across the system for no apparent reason.

I really wanna love KDE but this instability is a major issue for me it kinda reminds me of Windows 98 days :(

asimon
December 23rd, 2005, 12:09 PM
Yes, and the reason in my eyes is simple. I am sure that Kubuntu's KDE packagers do their best, but Ubuntu pays several people working full time on Gnome packages (probably they don't spend 100% of their time packaging Gnome but you get the idea) whereas KDE packages are done by a small number of volunteers. Thus Gnome packages just get more resources, speak developer time, then KDE.

Currently in Dapper Drake KDE is in a rather good shape. Here I don't see a big packaging-quality difference between Gnome and KDE. It's mostly that KDE packages need more time to get rebuild/fixed when dependencies break, like for example currently with the new dbus version.

All in all I think the KDE packagers do a great job, thanks. Of course it wouln't hurt if more people would start helping them.

nocturn
December 23rd, 2005, 12:21 PM

If you have an Nvidia card, make sure you turn of RenderAccel, it locks KDE on my system hard, but it is an Nvidia bug, not a KDE one.

Otherwise, I couldn't say.

nocturn
December 23rd, 2005, 12:23 PM
I recently tried KDE on Ubuntu again and although I hated the clutter, it ran fine.
What I did notice is that moving windows arround with full eyecandy on makes Xorg take 20-30% CPU, while Gnome eats 40-60% with no eyecandy whatsoever, but I guess that is metacity at work...

I was a longtime KDE user before Warty and I never had stability issues with it in the past, the opposite in fact...

-Rick-
December 23rd, 2005, 02:06 PM
Kubuntu hoary with kde 3.4.1 was not very stable for me...when I switched too FreeBSD with kde 3.4.2 I didn't had any crashes or so :)

I listened to a song in BMP and it crashed my entire sytem.

Doesn't seem to be KDE related..

other issues include...

Amarok (a wonderful app btw) crashes every other song it seems almost.

Disabling 'crossfade' for playback helped for me.
Also amarok is not a official kde app...I'm sure not many people would agree with me if I say that gnome sucks because gaim crashes all the time :)

Quanta just falls apart for no reason during use.
General slow downs across the system for no apparent reason.

Don't know Quanta and I don't have general slow downs...which version do you use?

GeneralZod
December 23rd, 2005, 06:57 PM
I've got quite a few niggling issues with Kubuntu, but stability has never been one of them (except for 5.04's Konqueror, which I could crash dozens of times per hour, had I wished :)) - my 5.10 Kubuntu desktop now has an uptime of 58 days. Which reminds me - I should probably reboot soon, as there was a kernel update ages ago :???:

Have you run memtest at all? In my experience, "full system crash"'s are extremely rare unless you have slightly dodgy hardware.

tseliot
December 23rd, 2005, 07:02 PM
I find KDE less stable than GNOME but it can't (I hope) make your computer freeze. Have you tried GNOME?
Try to run GNOME for a day and see if you notice any lockups.

JimmyJazz
December 24th, 2005, 12:13 AM
maybe I should note that I am using KDE 3.5 (from the kubuntu repo).

JimmyJazz
December 24th, 2005, 03:45 AM
okay this is weird I unistalled KDM and switched back to using GDM and things are suddenly stable again.