PDA

View Full Version : Could Microsoft have bought Opera?

matgorb
December 23rd, 2005, 11:46 AM
An article from digg suggest that Opera has been bought by MS, any other source? (yeah I know Dvorak said something like that, but he doesn't qualify as source)

it is there http://www.digg.com/software/Microsoft_Buys_Out_Opera

Rinzwind
December 23rd, 2005, 11:53 AM
Poor Opera users :(

But I do expect a new, better and improved Opera to emerge from the ashes :)

angkor
December 23rd, 2005, 11:57 AM
Well, we can only just wait and see. The "in a recent conversation with one of our insiders at Microsoft" remark, does sound a bit tabloidish to me, but I don't know the site, maybe they have a good track record predicting this kind of news.

It would be nice to see MS with a good browser in stead of IE, hope they don't wreck it...;)

sapo
December 23rd, 2005, 12:02 PM
I see 2 paths:

They use opera to make IE into a real browser

or

They make Opera into another IE, that means we will lose a good browser.

Rinzwind
December 23rd, 2005, 12:07 PM
Sapo: yes, and I am afraid it will be the latter.

For a better experience on the web (less exploits, less malware etc) it is a good thing IE7 would be killed but it's also a bad thing we loose such a cool browser. I've got mixed feelings about this.

What also could happen is that MS kills ALL Opera distributions expect the Windows version. Now THAT would suck bigtime.

Oh and does Opera hold alot of patents regarding browsers!?

asimon
December 23rd, 2005, 12:19 PM
Definitly a good move for Microsoft. They would destroy one competitor and at the same time get some good technology to incorporate into IE, or vice versa. Regarding patents, I remember an interview with Wium Lie, CTO of Opera, in which he stated that they are against software patents but nonetheless apply for some to protect themselves from other patent holders. More goodies for Microsoft if they buy them.

-Rick-
December 23rd, 2005, 02:15 PM
Link from one the comments: http://operawatch.blogspot.com/2005/12/dvorak-microsoft-should-buy-opera.html

I hope it won't happen...Opera is one the best browsers so far.

imagine
December 23rd, 2005, 02:36 PM
This story is circulating on the internet since weeks. First Google was the one who bought Opera, now it's Micros~1. This is a hoax IMHO.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/applications/0,39020384,39243639,00.htm

asimon
December 23rd, 2005, 02:43 PM
This story is circulating on the internet since weeks. First Google was the one who bought Opera, now it's Micros~1. This is a hoax IMHO.
So who is it next? IBM? Novell? Sun? :razz:

-Rick-
December 23rd, 2005, 02:50 PM
So who is it next? IBM? Novell? Sun? :razz:
It could be Mark Shuttleworth ;)

Rinzwind
December 23rd, 2005, 03:34 PM
From /.

Opera Purchase Rumour Controlfrom the don't-believe-everything-you-read dept.
Microsoft The Internet Businesses
We've had several submissions this morning concerning a CoolTechZone article stating that Microsoft has purchased Opera, seemingly confirming the Dvorak article we reported on yesterday. However, roblimo has followed up with Opera and found that to be (so far), less than true. Opera PR person Berit Hanson told Slashdot by phone from Oslo, Norway, that "last week it was Google, this week it's Microsoft." She laughed and added, "If I was working for Microsoft I think I'd know it, but I'm still in Oslo, not Washington, still working for Opera." Which, of course, is not to say it won't happen ... it just hasn't happened yet.

`GooZ“
December 24th, 2005, 12:19 AM
It's not gonna happen. Looks more like a publicity stunt/rumour by some guy who finds himself interesting. But that's just my opinion.

jeremy
December 24th, 2005, 09:07 AM
I doubt if it is true, Norwegians frown upon Quislings!

ade234uk
December 24th, 2005, 11:30 AM
All I will say is that they have sold out and who can blame them however if it is true why give it to someone like Microsoft.

Deep deep down they want to see Open source dead and buried once and for all they hate it, and like that Ballmer bloke says "Linux is a cancer" just about proves how evil they really are.

If this is the case Opera will be removed from my hard drive as soon as possible. I know its a bit extreme, but I just cant stand M$ Anymore.

They are and will still send out negative vibes to the business community. grrrrrrrrrrrr its so annoying and yet so many people are playing their tune its unbelievable. I dont care either how much money has been given to charity by this lot, some of that was my money in the past and no wonder they are so sodding rich charging £60.00 for Windows.

No one talks about how Open source has allowed the poor people in places like Africa to use a computer for the first time.

Lomas
December 24th, 2005, 11:36 AM
i hope it won't happen....
have been using opera for 7 years and i don't want them to be replaced by crappy Internet Explorer....