PDA

View Full Version : Is there a "cool" OS

hask
February 19th, 2009, 09:27 PM
:D Surely there must be a cool operating system.

I can think of some that are not cool

Arch/ Linux is not cool, too geeky, explaining what the commndline is to your girlfriend is seriously uncool, let alone

Windows XP/Vista/Seven7 are not cool, too common and even, many say Windows 7 is beautiful, but beauty does'nt ammount to coolness, too different things-

So for me the answer lay somewhere between Windows and raw command line Linux, but not a Mac as Mac users have been proven to be snooty prciks. :D

era86
February 19th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Linux CAN be cool.... Linux can be anything :)

tom66
February 19th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Mac OS X is referred to as cool, but I don't share that opinion. It looks neat which is probably one of the reasons for requiring thawing/defrosting.

FuturePilot
February 19th, 2009, 09:32 PM
So for me the answer lay somewhere between Windows and raw command line Linux,
Ubuntu?

I think this is a rather subjective question as everyone probably has a different definition of what "cool" is to them.

NinjaWork
February 19th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I think it really depends on what you do with the operating system...is that too generic a reply?

Hells_Dark
February 19th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Arch/ Linux is not cool, too geeky, explaining what the commndline is to your girlfriend is seriously uncool, let alone
Command Line is the coolest thing..

Define cool..

NinjaWork
February 19th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Command Line is the coolest thing..

Define cool..

ls -l | cowsay

;)

dragos240
February 19th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Well, err, Linux really is the geeky operating system. So unless you find a linux that can do everything without a command line, your out of luck. Even though this isn't related really, i think that when ReactOS goes beta, it will be pretty dang cool. It's design is to run all programs, whether it's linux, mac, or windows. That sound pretty cool to me.

Dr Small
February 19th, 2009, 09:46 PM

cool != GUI
commandline + geeky + archlinux + openbox + vim = cool

FuturePilot
February 19th, 2009, 09:47 PM
ls -l | cowsay

;)

That looks like a mess :shock: ;)

dragos240
February 19th, 2009, 09:51 PM
That looks like a mess :shock: ;)

That cow seems to have a lot of thoughts......

Eisenwinter
February 19th, 2009, 10:03 PM
A "cool" operating system is the one which won't use 100% CPU 24/7, therefore not heat the CPU, and cause it to remain cool.

dragos240
February 19th, 2009, 10:06 PM
A "cool" operating system is the one which won't use 100% CPU 24/7, therefore not heat the CPU, and cause it to remain cool.

Yes like a text based linux, barely uses any CPU memory. But KDE really uses a lot, not to mention the OS that looks like kde 4.1 and two *coughs*vista*coughs*

TalioGladius
February 19th, 2009, 10:13 PM
What a retarded idea for a thread.

aaaantoine
February 19th, 2009, 10:15 PM
There's no such thing.

I think if you mean a sleek piece of software that's also popular, it's gotta be Mac OS X. That's the closest you'll get.

HavocXphere
February 19th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Cool is whatever the mainstream is not doing at the moment. Take T-shirt fashion: e.g. suddenly vertical stripes are seen as totally cool. Then the distribution channels get flooded and then suddenly everyone has them and then they go from cool->common. Following this line of logic, Windows is not cool. Its common.

Cool is anything rebellious, insane, anarchist and non-conformist. Taking Apple: Everything needs to be Apple branded and bought from an official Apple Store or else it won't be compatible (and/or frowned upon as a Mac Clone). Apart from the price, there isn't anything insane about the Mac Eco-system. The Apple legal eagles have declared that Mac OS X may not be used with anything except Apple hardware. That is neither anarchist nor rebellious. And of course its got the trying-too-hard-to-be-cool problem.:rolleyes:

True Coolness emanates from the personal style of the person under review, not from the expectations of the outside world. So anyone who tries to emulate all the trends that are currently "cool" is bound to fail. It'll just end in the trying-too-hard-to-be-cool problem or constantly being one step behind the current flow. The only real & permanent way around this is to impose your own idea of cool onto the outside world. The *nix eco-system (Or any FOSS) gives the user the ability to customise it in any way he/she sees fit. So the coolness of the OS is largely dependent on the user personal style & coolness factor.

/drivel :biggrin:

fistfullofroses
February 19th, 2009, 10:37 PM
If you are going by what is most widely thought of as cool, you are talking about hipsters... they use OSX. Depending upon the results of some pending legal action, this may mean that you absolutely positively have to buy a Mac in order to use OSX... hipsters will love it even more, and further drive home the "mac is in" thing.

Chilli Bob
February 19th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Arch/ Linux is not cool, too geeky, explaining what the commndline is to your girlfriend is seriously uncoo

You just picked the wrong girlfriend!:p

phrostbyte
February 19th, 2009, 10:41 PM
fortune | cowsay

^ This is the coolest, sorry guys

fortune | cowsay -fsodomized

8-[

jimi_hendrix
February 19th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Well, err, Linux really is the geeky operating system. So unless you find a linux that can do everything without a command line, your out of luck. Even though this isn't related really, i think that when ReactOS goes beta, it will be pretty dang cool. It's design is to run all programs, whether it's linux, mac, or windows. That sound pretty cool to me.

ubuntu doesnt need CLI...(i love cli though :))

Vince4Amy
February 19th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Sabayon, I would consider that "cool" due to your definition of it.

bobmatino17
February 19th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Linux IS cool. It can look cool and it IS cool. Plus with Linux almost all the apps are Free!!! Try getting MS Office for $0.

jonobe
February 19th, 2009, 11:12 PM
The cool OSs are Fedora and Mandriva. Mac is quite cool.

Fedora is probably the cool one for work. Mandriva, however, is romantic, french, and has an emphasis on style.

Mandriva's not stable enough for me (I wish it was), but cool isn't usually stable, dependable or any of that sort of thing, is it?

I've settled for Kubuntu, which with tweaking can get pretty cool, and has the solidity and performance of the Ubuntu family. Tiny core linux is pretty cool as well - you could probably impress your girlfriend with how quick you can pop in a live cd/usb in to her old defunct computer and immediately surf the internet via opera (opera is a very cool browser).

Actually, Oss aren't cool. How the hell did I get involved in this conversation?

adamlau
February 19th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Arch, CRUX and the *BSDs are cool. So are Slackware and Debian. Mac is cool too. So is an nLited Windows installation. Ubuntu? It's OK :p .

MaxIBoy
February 19th, 2009, 11:41 PM
:D Surely there must be a cool operating system.

I can think of some that are not cool

Windows XP/Vista/Seven7 are not cool, too common and even, many say Windows 7 is beautiful, but beauty does'nt ammount to coolness, too different things-

So for me the answer lay somewhere between Windows and raw command line Linux, but not a Mac as Mac users have been proven to be snooty prciks. :D
Try Plan 9 from Bell Labs (http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/).

handy
February 20th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I think Apple have worked very hard for a long time promoting & presenting their products as cool.

They work on the external visuals, they work on the software of the Apple hardware that uses it; all in an effort to be visually appealing to attract new & keep current customers desiring the new cool Apple product.

Look how well this marketing has worked with their iPod line? They dominate the market by a far. & now the iPhone is doing the same thing.

Apple have made themselves the king of cool.

That said, there have been hundreds of posts in the old Other OS Talk forum about all of the evils of Apple, much of this I agree with, but there is also unfortunately an element of thought/feeling that forgets that they are just another company trying to make as much money as they can, like all but the tiniest percentage of every other company in existence Why single them out from the millions of other companies that are doing the same thing.

The linear consumption line we are on is the fundamental problem, not that line's components.

EnGorDiaz
February 20th, 2009, 12:33 AM
fortune | cowsay

8-[

/ You possess a mind not merely twisted, \
\ but actually sprained. /
----------------------------------------
\ _
\ (_)
\ ^__^ / \
\ (oo)\_____/_\ \
(__)\ ) /
||----w ((
|| ||>>

wow...

murman
February 20th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I think Apple have worked very hard for a long time promoting & presenting their products as cool.

They work on the external visuals, they work on the software of the Apple hardware that uses it; all in an effort to be visually appealing to attract new & keep current customers desiring the new cool Apple product.

Look how well this marketing has worked with their iPod line? They dominate the market by a far. & now the iPhone is doing the same thing.

Apple have made themselves the king of cool.

That said, there have been hundreds of posts in the old Other OS Talk forum about all of the evils of Apple, much of this I agree with, but there is also unfortunately an element of thought/feeling that forgets that they are just another company trying to make as much money as they can, like all but the tiniest percentage of every other company in existence Why single them out from the millions of other companies that are doing the same thing.

The linear consumption line we are on is the fundamental problem, not that line's components.

Visually appealing does not equals cool

dragos240
February 20th, 2009, 12:46 AM
fortune | cowsay

8-[

the second option is just gross!

dragos240
February 20th, 2009, 12:47 AM

so true.... linux is not gui, and it's still kick@$$

NinjaWork
February 20th, 2009, 01:46 AM
fortune | cowsay

8-[

all I can say is just...wow! ;)

kk0sse54
February 20th, 2009, 01:47 AM
What's your definition of cool?

NinjaWork
February 20th, 2009, 01:49 AM
\ _
\ (_)
\ ^__^ / \
\ (oo)\_____/_\ \
(__)\ ) /
||----w ((
|| ||>>

(hope I don't get banned for posting this!)

handy
February 20th, 2009, 02:11 AM

Now you have to remember we are talking about a quality here.

Cool is in the eye/mind of the beholder.

In general the kids love Apple's iPod. To the vast majority of them the iPod is the coolest, as the sales demonstrate.

If you want to learn about quality, have a read of "Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"?

murman
February 20th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Now you have to remember we are talking about a quality here.

You have gone from visually appealing to quality :-k

Cool is in the eye/mind of the beholder.

Not convinced, things in general are universally excepted as cool or not cool- example

Playing the solo guitar/piano = cool
Tripping up = not cool

In general the kids love Apple's iPod. To the vast majority of them the iPod is the coolest, as the sales demonstrate.

;) Again, because "something is the most popular" does not make it cool, quite the contrary.
Try not not to mix things up.

NinjaWork
February 20th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Again, because "something is the most popular" does not make it cool, quite the contrary.
Try not not to mix things up.

I think the tiling windows managers like Ion3 are super cool...amazing productivity boosters. I don't think they are so popular since they take a bit to learn, but great stuff.

WalmartSniperLX
February 20th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I remember my (ex) girlfriend thought it was cool that I ran linux. Her best friend's brother was a programmer who preferred linux. And, I was into doing animations with blender. She even started messing with blender.

I don't think it's a question about having an OS that is cool enough for your gf. It is about having a gf cool enough for your OS! :p

davisouzarj
February 20th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I don't think it's a question about having an OS that is cool enough for your gf. It is about having a gf cool enough for your OS! :p

Definitely the cooler statement!:D

4th guy
February 20th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Mac OS X is referred to as cool, but I don't share that opinion. It looks neat which is probably one of the reasons for requiring thawing/defrosting.
Surely buying overpriced hardware during an economic is cool?

lukjad
February 20th, 2009, 09:05 PM
LFS. Just take the computer and build it from scratch. That's really cool.

aaaantoine
February 20th, 2009, 09:44 PM
(hope I don't get banned for posting this!)

Well it's only ASCII art... On the other hand it's quite vivid.

Who the hell committed that patch?

zakany
February 20th, 2009, 10:16 PM
System 7 was cool.

Everything has gone down hill since.

Pumalite
February 20th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Besides Ubuntu; I use Sabayon; It has a Terminal, it's based on Gentoo, runs about everything and fast and barely uses CPU and memory (and it's KDE)

LinuxGuy1234
February 20th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Windows != cool
Mac OS X != cool
Gentoo + tinywm (or twm) + vim (command-line) + geek + 100% no gnome, kde or xfce == cool!!!!!

handy
February 21st, 2009, 11:45 AM
You have gone from visually appealing to quality :-k

Sorry, I should have written in a less ambiguous fashion.

What I meant is that what we are talking about IS A quality.

I wasn't referring to the high or low quality of materials, workmanship used in a product but to something far more difficult to define.

Cool is a quality. Ok?

So read Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" if you want to get into exploring the phenomena of "quality".

Sand & Mercury
February 21st, 2009, 01:27 PM
Mac is without doubt the 'in' OS.

Mark76
February 21st, 2009, 04:24 PM
The newest version of AmigaOS 4 is pretty cool.

As is RISCOS for hanging in there despite everything.

izizzle
February 22nd, 2009, 05:20 PM
Elive and OzOS are pretty cool. They use the Enlightenment Window Manager which looks amazing. WAAAAAAAAAAY better than OSX or Windows 7 IMHO.

WatchingThePain
February 22nd, 2009, 05:26 PM
You could give Fedora 10 a spin.

kaldor
February 22nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Mac OS X.

To be honest, this topic reminded me of some 13 year old kid who is trying too hard to be cool/fit in.

chucky chuckaluck
February 22nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
linux is cool to people who have heard of it but are unaware of the star wars figurine connection.

blackgr
February 22nd, 2009, 06:26 PM
Windows ME is cool

Skripka
February 22nd, 2009, 06:40 PM
Mac OS X.

To be honest, this topic reminded me of some 13 year old kid who is trying too hard to be cool/fit in.

This thread makes me like nostalgic like for like middle school and like high school.

artilec
February 22nd, 2009, 06:41 PM
gnome-do is the new cool!!

Sand & Mercury
February 22nd, 2009, 06:42 PM
I forgot to say earlier, 'cool' is a subjective term.

chucky chuckaluck
February 22nd, 2009, 06:42 PM
Windows ME is cool

i agree, but i have a feeling you're not being entirely sincere (i apologize if i've wronged you with my suspicion).

WatchingThePain
February 22nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
Omg your right, now I feel so sad.

You mean some kids are searching for a distro to make them fit in. What has the world come to ?.

Linux doesn't make you cool. You need to be cool already (that's how I started ;-))

Forget what I said about Fedora for now, go out see the world...have fun.
There's a button on the front of the pc which is there to actually shut it down.

And remember..when you make an omelette, you break a few eggs.

zedx555
February 22nd, 2009, 06:52 PM
Cool is too subjective. I think this thread is quite useless. I like gentoo because it is fast and rolling. But most won't like it as a lot of time is spent compiling. I like Arch and terminal because it makes things fast and simple and IMO your gf is not cool if she cannot understand what's a terminal.

WA_Garrett
February 22nd, 2009, 06:56 PM
GAWD, listen to your self. All I have to say is "It's not the operating system that makes the man, it's the man that makes the operating system." Thinking anything otherwise is just "Uncool."

So basically just use what works for you and don't worry about what your girlfriend might think of you.

Skripka
February 22nd, 2009, 06:58 PM
and don't worry about what your girlfriend might think of you.

She'll always think it is your fault, in short. As it usually is in fact your fault, even if it is not.

Barrucadu
February 22nd, 2009, 07:27 PM
You mean some kids are searching for a distro to make them fit in. What has the world come to ?.

Linux doesn't make you cool. You need to be cool already (that's how I started ;-))

Since switching to Arch I have to beat girls off with a stick.

WatchingThePain
February 22nd, 2009, 07:55 PM
No crap?

I'm gonna give arch a try lol.
The stick thing is a bit kinky though lol.

Oyeah what kinda girls are they? I mean I imagine Linux chix to be quite gothic, dunno if that's the case.

Barrucadu
February 22nd, 2009, 08:36 PM
Well, they just take one look at me typing stuff into a terminal and they can't resist :p

Bart_D
February 22nd, 2009, 08:39 PM
Since switching to Arch I have to beat girls off with a stick.

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No crap?

The stick thing is a bit kinky though.....

Hahahahahahhahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, they just take one look at me typing stuff into a terminal and they can't resist :p

L............O......................L!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:KS:KS

Omnios
February 22nd, 2009, 09:21 PM
Ya the kewl OS's are the tweeked out Linux's you see on tv lol

ArtF10
February 22nd, 2009, 11:41 PM

You've just given me a fantastic idea for a dream tonight. I'm installing codecs from the terminal, 2 of them walk into the room,......etc.etc.etc.:KS:KS

the8thstar
February 22nd, 2009, 11:49 PM

Well, if you keep your computer turned off, it's gonna do just that. Now is that COOL or what? :D

Barrucadu
February 23rd, 2009, 12:13 AM
You've just given me a fantastic idea for a dream tonight. I'm installing codecs from the terminal, 2 of them walk into the room,......etc.etc.etc.:KS:KS

Does the line "Your PS1 is so big" get mentioned?

Anyway… moving back on topic: From what I've observed, OS X is definitely a 'cool' OS. :p

ragtyme
February 23rd, 2009, 12:23 AM
Does the line "Your PS1 is so big" get mentioned?

Anyway… moving back on topic: From what I've observed, OS X is definitely a 'cool' OS. :p

:p The OS X has the potencial to be cool but its user base make it uncool (they have an undesirable image)
It's like the porsche 911, a bloody great car but driven by footballers and chief executives and that makes it seriously uncool.

OS X will be cool when the current user base has moved on to "the next new thing" be it mac or other. ;)

steveneddy
February 23rd, 2009, 12:38 AM
Linux is what you make of it.

Linux looks and acts way cooler than either Mac or anything Windows.

Maybe you just need some customization tricks on your Ubuntu box to get the "cool" factor you are looking for.

gakuma
February 23rd, 2009, 12:42 AM
I have five computers.

One running Windows 7, one running Windows XP, one running MacOS X, one running Ubuntu, and one running CentOS.

I think all of them have their merits, but in my opinion, Linux is the "coolest". I can tweak it out how I please and make it into anything I want for my needs. You can't really do that with a prepackaged OS.

(Well. You can, but Linux actually promotes that.)

Just my $0.02.

(This is an opinion from a girl, if you're looking for different demographics, too).

WatchingThePain
February 23rd, 2009, 02:31 PM
Have you heard of Partitioning? ;-)

trepid666
February 23rd, 2009, 06:41 PM
I just installed Sabayon, now thats a pretty cool OS! Its pretty bloated and it uses a lot of resources, but its really fun.

steveneddy
February 24th, 2009, 05:49 AM
I have five computers.

One running Windows 7, one running Windows XP, one running MacOS X, one running Ubuntu, and one running CentOS.

I think all of them have their merits, but in my opinion, Linux is the "coolest". I can tweak it out how I please and make it into anything I want for my needs. You can't really do that with a prepackaged OS.

(Well. You can, but Linux actually promotes that.)

Just my $0.02.

(This is an opinion from a girl, if you're looking for different demographics, too).

There are GURLS on the UF?

/jk

cybercookie72
February 24th, 2009, 06:40 AM
decking out my ubuntu install the way I want it is cool...

how do I know...lol

EVERY TIME someone sees the eye candy for the first time...
that is what they say..."that is soooo cool!"

so for me...linux wins..
but I might be a little bias

sujoy
February 24th, 2009, 06:44 AM
a linux distro with a tiling WM on large wide screen dual monitors with lots of code (preferably in Lisp) and compiling going on is cool enough :)

MedianMajik
February 24th, 2009, 06:54 AM
People who don't understand Linux always think Mint is "cool" with all of the graphic options turned on (especially the cube). These same people see Openbox as practical and cryptic (not cool). Apple is totally going for "Cool factor" in their commercials.

gakuma
February 24th, 2009, 04:37 PM
there are gurls on the uf?

/jk

omg yes. Watch out. You might get cooties. ;)

gjoellee
February 24th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Linux Mint, is an even easier to use Ubuntu based distro
PCLinuxOS is easy to use

Arch Linux can be configured to be even easier to use then Linux Mint. I don't even have to use the commend line at all, but I prefer to do so because it is faster :p

But remember:
Usually it is like this: The harder to use distribution, the more flexibility and performance you get!

BazookaAce
February 24th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Linux= Geek
Linux+ Compiz = Cool. End of story.
Windows = Don't know any better, it came with the computer
MacOSX= Cool