PDA

View Full Version : What are the different types of Linux users?

NinjaWork
February 19th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I've noticed in my own adventures on different boards that there are several types. For example:

- strictly minimalistic (arch)
- oddly baroque (slack)
- total tweakers (gentoo)
- graphics crazy (OS X)

Skripka
February 19th, 2009, 08:41 PM
To Arch or not to Arch, that is the question.

-Billy Shakespeare

sydbat
February 19th, 2009, 08:43 PM

-Billy ShakespeareNo, no...that was Bill Shatner...

Vince4Amy
February 19th, 2009, 08:44 PM
- oddly baroque (slack)

Slackware may be an old distro but the packages are reasonably up to date.

NinjaWork
February 19th, 2009, 08:45 PM

-Billy Shakespeare

we can add Ubuntu users as Hamlet! :D

kaldor
February 19th, 2009, 08:47 PM
- Linux Zealot who knows everything about computers and gloats their knowledge

- 2 Day Ubuntu users who don't know what a tarball is who gloat about how much better they are than every Windows/Mac user (Yet they dual boot using WUBI)

Telekinesis
February 19th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I think I've been all of the above at one point or another. Actually, I'm still kind of all of the above, although I'm using Ubuntu. I've been around the block with various distros, though. Does that make me sleazy?

NinjaWork
February 20th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I've been around the block with various distros, though. Does that make me sleazy?

sleazy is in the eye of the beholder...so, no...that's cool by me ;)

damis648
February 20th, 2009, 01:38 AM
OS X is not a linux distro, sorry. :popcorn:

If this is your idea, what is Ubuntu classified as?

NinjaWork
February 20th, 2009, 01:41 AM
OS X is not a linux distro, sorry. :popcorn:

If this is your idea, what is Ubuntu classified as?

sorry...my mistake

I like the "To Arch or not to Arch" classification mentioned above for Ubuntu

RiceMonster
February 20th, 2009, 01:53 AM
- 2 Day Ubuntu users who don't know what a tarball is who gloat about how much better they are than every Windows/Mac user (Yet they dual boot using WUBI)

:lolflag:

Rumbl3
February 20th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I used to be a hardcore minimalist. On windows and when i first really dug into linux lol. I seen xubuntu and first one i downloaded cause it seemed right up my alley. It was but for once in my life i decided to not shred something to pieces. Windows 2000 and xp lol if i do a fresh reinstall and don't say any of my work i spend probably two days going over tweaks and reg edits etc.

but i don't have windows anymore eh.

It's nice tho to use regular ubuntu and not sit and tweak anything just enjoy it for what it is.

NinjaWork
February 20th, 2009, 02:02 AM
It's nice tho to use regular ubuntu and not sit and tweak anything just enjoy it for what it is.

oh man...I second that! I can spend two days tweaking the computer and, in the end, 50% of the tweaks work better and 50% makes things worse ;-)

shadylookin
February 20th, 2009, 02:11 AM
the good, the bad, and the ugly

Miles_Prower
February 20th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Maybe missing the point of the quesion. don't know, but it seems like a calm enough conversation to jump into.

Laid-back. Nihilistic, almost. Update manager needs to install something for CUPS? That's cool, bro. It's all good. Who am I to get in the way? What's CUPS? I could get rid of it, but the only benefit would be to free up a lil space on my dis-proportionally large hard drive. I don't think removing unused libs and programs would speed anything up, and ubuntu's my buddy. If it wants to carry around some dead weight, that's a symbol of strength, man.

NinjaWork
February 20th, 2009, 02:14 AM
What's CUPS? I could get rid of it, but the only benefit would be to free up a lil space on my dis-proportionally large hard drive.

That's great...having a 250 gig HD kind of takes the fun out of removing things!

jimi_hendrix
February 20th, 2009, 02:25 AM
lazy or new - ubuntu

Sealbhach
February 20th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Earnest Penguinista - changing the world, one CPU at a time. Has watched Revolution OS over 100 times.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 20th, 2009, 02:26 AM
I've noticed two other types of Linux users:

1) Those that have recently discovered Linux, and think the distro they are using is the best, and
2) Those that have been around for a while, and don't care what other people use as long as it works for them.

Boaslad
February 20th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Wow, What a generic question... might as well ask "What are the different types of hamburger eaters?"... I've only been around the Linux farm for a couple years now and have seen all kinds of people using and abusing Linux. every one from the Elitist to the full blown noobie. I've talked to little old ladies who were ape about Redhat, and teenage Punks (think mohawks and chains) who swore by GoboLinux. It's a wide wide world out there. I've seen people from every walk of life. Meeting new ones every day. Even converted a few to Ubuntu :). The thing I've noticed most is that Linux breeds diversity, because unlike other OS's it doesn't tell you what you can and can't do. It let's you be you. That's why I am still here.

yther
February 20th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Some of us change, too, over time. I could make a long list of distros I have tried over the years since leaving OS/2, but it should suffice to say that I started with easy, prepackaged ones until I got one that installed without the use of a sledgehammer.

After I got comfortable with just using Linux, I started trying to figure out how to do more with what I had. Then I got various random boxes for free at work, and started experimenting. I moved from RPM-based distros to source-based, including a short flirtation with OpenBSD. (It didn't end well.) At the peak of my geekiness, I had 5 different machines running Gentoo, including a Mac, all compiling stuff for each other, and I thought that was awesome.

Now I've come down from that high, have a store-bought laptop and a self-built desk— er, floortop, and not much time to spend breaking stuff, so I tried Ubuntu in the hope that it would "just work," and for the most part my wish has come true. From bare metal with blank hard drives to a full graphical desktop in a couple of hours? Yeah, I can handle that. ;)

Now, if I could have the ease of use and setup of Ubuntu, cross-bred with the "only give me what I need to do what I want and no more" personality of Gentoo, I'd be as happy as a pig in... a blanket. :P

Whatever kind of user that is, that'd be me. :D

Bart_D
February 20th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Beginner
Intermediate
Expert

Really, it is just.....that....simple, in my opinion.

chucky chuckaluck
February 20th, 2009, 04:16 AM
there are as many different types of linux users as there are different types of fruitcake.

NinjaWork
February 20th, 2009, 04:23 AM
anyone ever read the BOFH:

http://members.iinet.com.au/~bofh/index.html

Ripose
February 20th, 2009, 05:58 AM
I am a kernel cracking, master, GI Joe (with karate grip), Kawasaki-Ninja, Lord-King and God Almighty.... LINUX-BOY !

I will be taking over the world soon when I release RIPUX.

RIPUX Requirements:

CPU: 1024 Core 3.9 TeraHz Quantum Armageddon Obliterator
RAM: 10 PetaByte DDR9000 (with Nuclear Cooling)
PSU: OverSpike 500,000 Watt Rammer II
MoBo: GoFast 1.009 Glass Fiber Mustard-Laser 7

:shock: RIPUX runs directly from your depraved little brain waves. Soon it will be programming You!! :shock: [-o<[-o<[-o<

:twisted: HAAAAAAAA-HAAAAAA-HAAA!!!!! :twisted:

Alpha Release: A week from the first Tuesday of the Blue Moon on IOS. :popcorn:

Ok seriously, I am a laid back Old Man with TONS of time, so I don't really care as long as the OS does not force me to follow it's guidelines AKA MS Windows ????

NinjaWork
February 20th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I am a kernel cracking, master, GI Joe (with karate grip), Kawasaki-Ninja, Lord-King and God Almighty.... LINUX-BOY !

cracker/hacker :popcorn: