PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] i want ubuntu

slam888
February 19th, 2009, 05:15 PM
ok here my story...
got my sony vaio pcg-z600lek laptop with no cd drive or floppy and cant boot from usb.

i managed to get dsl (damn small linux) to run on it (took me long time but i did it very simply).

but what i really want is xubuntu or ubuntu on it.

i seen form where u can do this but they are using windows.
is there a toutoral on how to doing via linux.

thanks for your help.

Maheriano
February 19th, 2009, 05:19 PM
go to www.ubuntu.com and download a live CD for your system. Burn the .iso to a disc, pop it into the drive, reboot, install.

avtolle
Have you looked at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromLinux or considered unetbootin?

avtolle
As the OP posted, he has no CD drive.

taurus
February 19th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Maybe one of these methods would work for you.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation#Server and network installations

yther
February 19th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Wow, a challenge! :D

I don't know the exact details, but possibly this will give a spark to someone who does. There is something called "memdisk" that basically loads at boot time and then hands control over to a disk image; the image can be of a floppy or CD or whatever. It works like a kernel, so you can load it using GRUB. I use this at work to boot DOS from a USB drive and then fool it into thinking it started from a floppy.

So I'm thinking you could do something like this:

Get hold of memdisk somehow (here's its home site (http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/The_Syslinux_Project), maybe it's available in DSL).
Add it to GRUB menu.
Download an Ubuntu ISO onto the Vaio.
Configure memdisk to load the ISO.

I think that should get you started. Probably someone else has an easier way... ;)

Edit: See the post above me, I was right! The "Install from Internet" method is probably what you want.

Therion
February 19th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I'm not saying one of the above methods WON'T work, but I'd strongly suggest you get an external CD/DVD burner. How much is your sanity worth to you?

slam888
February 19th, 2009, 05:29 PM
find a external cd drive for my laptop is hard. it only accept one type of cd drive. if i cud use a cd drive i wud. it be much easier.
on my laptop boot menu it only lists:
ATAPI CD-ROM Drive
Diskette Drive
Hard Drive.

i've taken my laptop apart 10 times just to get damnsmalllinux on it. now i want to keep it in my laptop before my laptop dies completely.

going to try unetbootin linux. hope it work :P

Maheriano
February 20th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Easy. Take out the hard drive, put it in a desktop, install, put it back in the laptop.

dabomb1022
February 20th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Just search google for virtual box and you can use it to run any ISO's you need (like ubuntu) or open wubi.exe inside the ubuntu ISO and you can install

slam888
February 20th, 2009, 07:33 PM
i wud install in back to my desktop then install ubuntu but then it wouldnt have all the laptop drivers in place and loads of erros.
i did try grub usb boot but wasnt possible because my bio wudnt detect my usb pen drive.
grrr mite jsut use damn small linux for now