PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Using vista partition editor to resize ubuntu partition?

lbmounse
February 19th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Is it safe to use the vista partition editor to resize the ubuntu partition?
If not, how can I resise the partition to claim free space gained by shrinking the vista partition?

When I installed ubuntu, the vista partition editor would only let me resize the vista partition by 15 GB. Now, it is saying I can have 9 GB more. If I can, I will just keep whittling down the vista partition, and give it to ubuntu.

whoop
February 19th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I would advise booting up a live-cd of ubuntu and type this in a terminal:

gksudo gparted

It's a good partition editor.

caljohnsmith
February 19th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Definitely don't use the Vista Disk Management to resize the Ubuntu partition, because Vista has no knowledge of linux file systems. If you boot your Live CD, you can use gparted (System > Admin > Partition Editor) to expand the Ubuntu partition once you shrink the Vista partition. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

glotz
February 19th, 2009, 07:17 PM
First, some instructions suggest you first defragment the ******* partition (using the ******* tool.) Then use the ******* partitioner to shrink the ******* partition. Then, since you have such an old version (6.06) it might be the best idea to get the latest version of gparted. (from http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ , click the live link in the upper right corner.) Once you get the file, insert an empty cd or a cd-rw disk and right click the iso file > write. Then boot off the gparted CD and enlarge the Ubuntu partition with it.

binbash
February 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Download Gparted live CD and burn it to a CD.You will need it.

Therion
February 19th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Download Gparted live CD and burn it to a CD.You will need it.
Yep. If not today, someday. Just do it. It's an essential tool for every 'buntu-ist.

lbmounse
February 26th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Ok, so the windows partitioner is telling me "Access Denied" when trying to shrink the partition.

Any suggestions?

Herman
February 26th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I agree with what all of the previous posters have already told you, don't use the Windows partitioner.

Use GParted or any good 'Parted based partitioner and stick with it, don't change brands.
An up to date version of GParted is recommended.

If GParted won't look at your NTFS partition, you might need to run CHKDSK on it from a Windows Repair Disc first, and it is also recommended to run CHKDSK again afterwards, (refer to GParted's documentation).

Regards, Herman :p

StephenOK
February 26th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Yep. If not today, someday. Just do it. It's an essential tool for every 'buntu-ist.

Yup. Gparted is a great partitioner, and its very easy to use.