PDA

View Full Version : PHP Mysql Help/Logic

cerealtx
February 19th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Okay, i have working code, that gets information from a webpage, but then im going to do stuff with that information, but i don't want to duplicate it, how can i check my mySQL database for a entry am i going to have to go through the entire table each time? because after each user thats not on it, im going to do the "stuff" to the information then add that info to the database so its not repeated, could i just search for that information in the database? like

$result = mysql_query("SELECT Name FROM table WHERE Name='info'");
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
if(!result)
{
echo "not found..."
do whatever...
}

but see like that, its going to have to go through the entire database, while it wont take long it still seems like a waste

konqueror7
February 19th, 2009, 06:25 AM
i use
if (mysql_affected_rows($connection) != 0) { // code if someting is found} else { // code when something is not found }

i don't quite understand what you meant, but this how i do it so i save time not entering the loop...

junaid123
February 19th, 2009, 07:16 AM
you can give the table name. i think if you give the table name instead of the database it will only traverse the specific table each time. but honesty i did not understand your question or problem

simeon87
February 19th, 2009, 02:29 PM
If I understand correctly, you're trying to check the existence of a row in a table in a database? As a small optimization, you could add ' LIMIT 1' to the end of the query so it'll stop searching as soon as it has found a row; because now, it'll search the whole table for all rows with Name='info'.

cerealtx
February 19th, 2009, 03:47 PM
does this seem logical? sorry about my horrible attempt at explaining myself

$result = mysql_query("SELECT Name FROM table WHERE Name="$info" LIMIT 1");
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
if($row['Name] == $info)
{
already in database, skip
}
else
{
do compulations, then
insert into database
}
}