PDA

View Full Version : What dialect of English do you speak?

Grant A.
February 19th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Just curious to see how the community speaks the greatest language in the world, other than Spanish. ;)

Note: This only applies to the dialect of former British Colonies. If Canadian, pick American (North). If you are not from a current/former British colony, pick the one closest to yours, or the one that you learned.

octesian
February 19th, 2009, 02:55 AM
My dialect is "American Mumble". Thats a dialect, right?

kaldor
February 19th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Newfoundland.

jenkinbr
February 19th, 2009, 03:00 AM
American North here.

LoL at American Texas :lolflag:

Rumbl3
February 19th, 2009, 03:00 AM
hmmm from what i know even saying say North part of america people still speak different. I live in michigan most people on ventrilo say my friends and I have very rough accents, now i got 3 guys i play from new york city and they all have a way different accent, my friend that moved to boston has a way way different accent. But lol it would take forever i guess to make a poll long enough to sort it all out.

Northsider
February 19th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Quite an odd selection of choicers here. By 'Enlgish' as the first choice I guess you mean British? Also, American dialects/accents are so varied, simply grouping them all to North and South is silly. MN accents are much different than IL accents, which are much different than MA accents, etc...so why the separate selection for Texas and not for Massachussettes or California?

Anyways, I guess I vote "North"

jimi_hendrix
February 19th, 2009, 03:23 AM
LoL at American Texas :lolflag:

the only dialect with a second person plural pronoun...

north american

Grant A.
February 19th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Quite an odd selection of choicers here. By 'Enlgish' as the first choice I guess you mean British? Also, American dialects/accents are so varied, simply grouping them all to North and South is silly. MN accents are much different than IL accents, which are much different than MA accents, etc...so why the separate selection for Texas and not for Massachussettes or California?

Anyways, I guess I vote "North"

Texas is distinctly different from the other Southern dialects, but due to limited poll options, I had to narrow the choices down.

handy
February 19th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Working class, far western suburbs of Sydney, Oz.

kk0sse54
February 19th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Where's the option for Floridian?

pol666
February 19th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Where is the option Foreing English?
because my english s*cks :P, so i speak english without any particular accent

I-75
February 19th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Not exactly a Southern twang, but a combination of Mid West and South. Mid south accent...yea thats it.

Y'all git it now? Its all good..time to do the warsh...and have some Gold Star or Skyline Cheese Coneys. EBN Fireworks anyone?

Northsider
February 19th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Texas is distinctly different from the other Southern dialects, but due to limited poll options, I had to narrow the choices down.

Of course it is. And like I said in the rest of my post, a lot of states have distinct accents, like MA and MN for example.

chucky chuckaluck
February 19th, 2009, 03:55 AM
mine is a neutral american. i had such a bad boston accent when i was a kid, kids in my own neighborhood would make fun of it. being a singer and a voice teacher, though, i've long since gotten rid of it, though it will still slip out occassionally, much to mrs. chuckaluck's amusement and horror.

Bart_D
February 19th, 2009, 03:58 AM
American(North) I guess...neutral really. But not the New York/Boston North that the OP is talking about.

yther
February 19th, 2009, 03:58 AM
American South (as opposed to South American) here.

BTW you misspelled "Australia"; it's not spelled phonetically unless you're Australian. ;)

Giant Speck
February 19th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Well, I chose North. However, I am from southern Iowa, so my accent is fairly neutral. Not as neutral as someone from say, Omaha, but far more neutral than someone from Minnesota or Wisconsin.

handy
February 19th, 2009, 03:59 AM
@Grant A.: Australian is how they spell it, I just usually use Oz. :-)

gymophett
February 19th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Lol, American (Texas).
I'm American (Louisiana). Oh well, I put American (South). :D

gymophett
February 19th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Y'all git it now?

Baha.

00ber n00b
February 19th, 2009, 04:02 AM
You split south/Texas and didn't put any option for Midwest or West. Texas isn't that different.

bsharp
February 19th, 2009, 04:38 AM
I've grown up in Tennessee, and my family has lived here as long as I can remember, so I assume I speak English (south) although I just sound normal to me. :-k

Onoskelis
February 19th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Well I'm from Canada. My accent is very neutral.

jimrz
February 19th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Brooklyn / Southwestern desert rat (with still a bit of me father/grandfather's brogue mixed in on occasion) ... don't really see a poll option that is close ;)

sjaxso
February 19th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I needed to tick two boxes, really. Definitely British English most of the time, but slip into New Zealand English at time (I emigrated here six years ago).

BuffaloX
February 19th, 2009, 05:18 AM
In school we learn British English, but everyone I know talk American English (probably mostly north) with a heavy danish accent.

When I learned English in school, I thought a lorry was a small truck,
because if we saw a British TV-Show they said lorry and they were small,
If we saw American shows they said truck and they were much bigger.

PS
I didn't vote since it wouldn't really make sense.

samjh
February 19th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Aushtrayan. ;)

BuffaloX
February 19th, 2009, 05:26 AM
There really should have been an option for English is 2nd. language.

oo-boon-too
February 19th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Well, when you put it in the sense of "How one pronounces words", I would have to say I have a British accent. Although, I do not share any slang terms or other similar aspects of the 'British Accent'.

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 05:31 AM
mine is northeast Ohioan it is unique from anything on your poll, and very different from southeast Ohioan

handy
February 19th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Well, when you put it in the sense of "How one pronounces words", I would have to say I have a British accent. Although, I do not share any slang terms or other similar aspects of the 'British Accent'.

I could tell that by your user name. :p

Maheriano
February 19th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Newfoundland.

Beat me to it! Where's the option for Newfie?

hanzomon4
February 19th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Where gangster be at my ubuntu doggie dizzle? No really my friends say I speak in white bOi, really it's quite different however.

jpkotta
February 19th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Accent != Dialect

kaldor
February 19th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Beat me to it! Where's the option for Newfie?

Dunno b'y :(

Tux Aubrey
February 19th, 2009, 07:30 AM
BTW you misspelled "Australia"; it's not spelled phonetically unless you're Australian.

The Australian dialect is officially known as "Strine", because that's how we say it. And while there are regional variations, they are far too subtle for non-Australians to detect, whereas we can detect many variants within the UK and USA.

The KIWI accent (or should I say "ixint") is as different from Strine as "standard" Canadian (the "aboot" version) is from the accent of the Northern USA.

Several years ago I had a job where I had to work with a whole range of "English" speakers - Seth Efricens, Kenaydyans, New Zulenders, Merkins and Limeys mostly. After a few weeks, we could "swap" accents instantly and play whatever part we chose.

CraigPaleo
February 19th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Where's the option for Floridian?

I'm Floridian too but chose north because I speak more like a northerner than a southerner.

igknighted
February 19th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Of course it is. And like I said in the rest of my post, a lot of states have distinct accents, like MA and MN for example.

MA could really classify themselves as closer to a british english than american english...

Even within states, an NYC accent is nothing like an upstate NY accent, and even long island is very different than both of those.

I had a prof at uni who could hear someone speak for just a minute and place their accent usually to the proper county of NY (it was a state college, few out of staters). Very rarely was he wrong.

cariboo
February 19th, 2009, 08:34 AM
You left out Canada, there at least 4 distinct Canadian dialects, Western Canadian, Central Canadian, Quebec and Eastern Canadian. Personally I speak western Canadian.

Jim

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I'm Floridian too but chose north because I speak more like a northerner than a southerner.

Northeast Ohio is the same way it's closer to north than south, but is way different than either, and southern Ohio has a West Virginia type "hillbilly" dialect, which is also different than the standard northern, or southern dialect.People in Minnesota have a hey hooser kind of Canadian thing going on.California has a few of there own too, You throw in Ebonics, then you have the people in the New Orleans area that have a unique dialect as well. There are probably at least 20 different very distinct dialects in the US alone.

chamber
February 19th, 2009, 08:52 AM
You left out Northern Irish, it sounds very different to southern Irish.

neo_1in
February 19th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Wow! you guys are really serious about accents/dialects :D . Can't say about dialect, but around here, between "color" and "colour", neither is a spelling mistake, yay globalisation!

Sand & Mercury
February 19th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Born and raised in Australia, so I still have the dialect and accent from there.

Giant Speck
February 19th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Wow! you guys are really serious about accents/dialects :D . Can't say about dialect, but around here, between "color" and "colour", neither is a spelling mistake, yay globalisation!

Can you spell it "globalization" there, too? :p

deepclutch
February 19th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Indian?not as in native indians. india as a country :) .Here our pronounciation is different.from north(new delhi) to south India(madras),the accent varies widely!normal people here in India cannot understand English movies with the speed and american dialect .we usually have the movies dubbed to regional languages or subtitltes(for english) are needed.that much difference.

Yes ,I grew up learning "Colour" as the true spelling.

hyperdude111
February 19th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Those who are saying that English is British are wrong.
English is England
British includes both Scotland and Wales (Not NI)
Just because all three countries are run by the same government are are joined pieces of land the accents are completely different.

Nevon
February 19th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Northern American, I guess. Though English isn't my first language, so I guess I have a slightly Swedish accent too.

Plumtreed
February 19th, 2009, 11:42 AM
From Oz, so I speak Strine.

Fancy not having Canada on the list:(

Vince4Amy
February 19th, 2009, 12:43 PM
British.

nothingspecial
February 19th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Those who are saying that English is British are wrong.
English is England
British includes both Scotland and Wales (Not NI)
Just because all three countries are run by the same government are are joined pieces of land the accents are completely different.

The Liverpudlian accent is completely different from the Mancunian accent 30 miles down the M62.

Go 30 miles the other way and you`re in Leeds another distinct accent.

In between Manchester and Liverpool (kind of) is Bolton which also has a distinct accent of it`s own. It`s not a mixture of Manc and Scouse it`s different.

That`s covered the North West of England briefly, without mentioning North Lancashire, The Borders etc etc.

The same is true for the rest of the British Isles.

I`ve heard it said that the clearest, most well spoken English can be found in the far North West of Scotland. I`ve never been able to understand broad Glaswegian or Geordie.

CrazyArcher
February 19th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Not a native English speaker, but I don't have a distinctive non-native accent on the other hand. Northern American is the closest thing to what I speak, I suppose.

Jesterday
February 19th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Newfoundland.

Hey I also speak Newfie, well close anyway, I speak the Labrador Dialect of Newfinese. lol

bela42
February 19th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Broken English, the world's leading universal language!

;)

graabein
February 19th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I'm Norwegian so I probably speak English like the average Norwegian - not that good and with a heavy Norwegian accent. ;)

I once was told that I had a Scottish accent though, so I voted that. This must have been at the time when Trainspotting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trainspotting_%28film%29) came out.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/71/Trainspotting_ver2.jpg

aaaantoine
February 19th, 2009, 04:37 PM
"Brooklyn".

You neglected to add that and "Boston" (e.g. John F. Kennedy, Mayor Quimby from The Simpsons and everyone in The Departed), both of which are very distinctive dialects.

Though I understand you'd have like 50 poll options if you broke it down that way, so I voted American (North).

TravisNewman
February 19th, 2009, 05:05 PM
This poll needs an option for "American: News-anchor neutral"

I grew up in the Appalachian mountains in Virginia and somehow managed to come out of it without any discernible accent other than basic American. Occasionally, especially when I have to speak loudly or to my family (which sometimes goes hand in hand, they're a loud-speaking bunch), a little bit of Appalachian accent sneaks out. It's definitely not southern though.

gn2
February 19th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Born and raised in weegie-land, but trust me, fan ye gingt'l Eberdeen tae bide, ye'll no ken fit omdy's spikkin aboot.

afeasfaerw23231233
February 19th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Why there is no Chinglish for me to choose? :)

xpod
February 19th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I once was told that I had a Scottish accent though, so I voted that. This must have been at the time when Trainspotting came out.

The books great,you get to read in a Scottish(Edinburgh) accent too.:p

Born and raised in weegie-land, but trust me, fan ye gingt'l Eberdeen tae bide, ye'll no ken fit omdy's spikkin aboot.

Furry boots?

DownTown22
February 19th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Newfoundland.

I was going to say Canadian should be on there. But, so should Newfoundland/East-coast Canada.

mamamia88
February 19th, 2009, 05:59 PM
what do you consider chicago accent?

Mohamedzv2
February 19th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I've got me a North American accent though it's only cause I lived here for at least 3/4 of my life

trepid666
February 19th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Canadian, NOT american

Eclipse.
February 19th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I have Glaswegian accent, although its not too heavy.Understandable by the vast majority of people.

pasti
February 19th, 2009, 06:46 PM
What about putting Welsh in your poll, were part of Britain too, and we play better rugby than the rest of the home nations to boot!

gn2
February 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Furry boots?

Born Kelvindale, raised Bearsden.

kamitsukai
February 19th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I have an English accent although that's a pretty broad term as anyone from the north of England will sound completely different to me as I live on the Isle of Wight (And if you want to know where that is, it's the speck right at the bottom of the UK about 3 miles off the coast :P ).

oldsoundguy
February 19th, 2009, 08:00 PM
there is also a LARGE difference in each area between the street dialect and the educated dialect.

IE: 50cent & President Obama
Or Keith Richard and Prince Phillip

There are dialects within dialects.. Gullah in North Carolina .. hill talk in the Ozarks and on and on.

I have noticed the difference between Edinburgh and Glasgow in both educated and street dialects, and in the New York and New Jersey .. even tho they are next door to each other.

Suffice it to say, with mass communications, the lines are getting more blurred each day, but at present. they are STILL there.

groeswenphil
February 19th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Now, If you look at a map, and find England, then look ever so slightly to the left, you'll see another little land called WALES.

Now, although an awful lot of people living in WALES speak WELSH, the majority of them actually speak English......with a Welsh accent.
AND, even though WALES is quite a small place, there are at least four different WELSH accents of people who speak their English in one of those accents.....and they are:-

North Wales.
South Wales.
Valleys.
and

Cardiff.

Mine falls somewhere between Valleys and Cardiff so I'm told.

Now......seeing as I'm the first one to point this out after seven pages of ramble, does that mean that I'm the only Welsh/English accent here that speaks Ubuntu?

Hwyl Fawr

Phil

hask
February 19th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Yorkshire dialect, and the poll has pathetic options

majabl
February 19th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Now......seeing as I'm the first one to point this out after seven pages of ramble, does that mean that I'm the only Welsh/English accent here that speaks Ubuntu?

Second - see post 64! :P Doesn't make your gripe any less valid, though - I was waiting to see if someone from Wales would point out the omission of ~3m people!

Thelasko
February 19th, 2009, 09:19 PM
The creator of this poll has obviously never met anyone from Alabama. They speak an entirely different kind of English in that state. No, it's not like Southern English either.

markp1989
February 19th, 2009, 09:26 PM
i speak original english, from england

im from north london, people south of london speak different to me, and people north of london speak different aswell

Thelasko
February 19th, 2009, 09:30 PM
there is also a LARGE difference in each area between the street dialect and the educated dialect.

Careful, that was a fiercely debated controversy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_Ebonics_controversy) a few years ago. I'm aware of some African Americans that feel speaking the "educated dialect" would be ignoring their heritage, and don't care that it makes a poor first impression.

mp3_freak_721
February 19th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I voted north, but its more neutral.

rokytnji
February 19th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Texas,

dragos240
February 19th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Well i come from Massachusetts, so i pronounce water wader, so is that different?

Thelasko
February 19th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Northern American, I guess. Though English isn't my first language, so I guess I have a slightly Swedish accent too.

I've occasionally met people who don't speak English natively, but have learned it somewhere else (usually in the UK). I must say, it's usually a very confusing experience. There's two accents do deal with, and it takes a while to figure out what the person is saying.

One such experience was while talking with a native French speaker who learned English in the UK. I think she had a Cockney accent on top of her French one. When I first met her, I thought she was deaf.

I've also met people who grew up in Hong Kong and parts of India that speak the most perfect Oxford English I have ever heard.

grndslm
February 19th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Yo Geez, I beez from the Dirty South. Don't wanna mess with us, or we'll hafta bussa couple capsLOCKS screamin' at ya.

Ya digg?

Grant A.
February 19th, 2009, 11:14 PM

Wrong branch of the Anglic language family tree. ;)

kamitsukai
February 19th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Now, If you look at a map, and find England, then look ever so slightly to the left, you'll see another little land called WALES.

Now, although an awful lot of people living in WALES speak WELSH, the majority of them actually speak English......with a Welsh accent.
AND, even though WALES is quite a small place, there are at least four different WELSH accents of people who speak their English in one of those accents.....and they are:-

North Wales.
South Wales.
Valleys.
and

Cardiff.

Mine falls somewhere between Valleys and Cardiff so I'm told.

Hwyl Fawr

Phil

The funny thing is halfway through reading that I realised I was reading it in my head with a welsh accent:-s

NewJack
February 20th, 2009, 06:36 AM
New Yawker

stopie
February 20th, 2009, 06:43 AM
American (pure)...us Nebraskans are actually prefered for jobs that involve speaking to an audience (TV anchor is a popular one) because our accent is that we have no accent - just clear, plain (American) English. That is one reason why there are so many telemarketing firms based out of Omaha, NE.

MikeTheC
February 20th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Ridiculous. The poll isn't even complete.

Messyhair42
February 20th, 2009, 06:52 AM
i speak yooper, ya sure to da U.P. eh, u betcha

holbol888
May 29th, 2012, 09:08 PM
english from liverpool soo im scouse yay ;););););)

oldos2er
May 29th, 2012, 09:15 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.